Chapter 14

WARNING: This story contains mature themes and is intended for mature readers.

ISABELLA STANLEY.

Edwin was very different from his brother and at times it was hard to believe they were even twins.

With Edwin, no matter what he said, or what threats he delivered, I don't believe he would actually hurt me, not like Anthony at least.

I wanted to make sense of Edwin, of why he was so calm, attentive and caring, but I always kept coming up blank. I knew that under this man he pretended to be, was a dark man, maybe more so than his brother and I don't think that was a side of him I wanted to see.

"Why are you being nice to me?" I asked, as he helped clean up the blood from my face. His hand stilled as he looked at me.

"What do you mean?"

"I ran away, well, I tried to. Shouldn't you be mad at me?"

"I am mad at you, very much so, but I also don't blame you for trying. As stupid as your attempt may have been, you were very brave to try such a stunt, especially with so many of us here," he said.

My attempt had not been stupid. Anyone else in my position would have done the same thing. I would have made it too, I would have escaped them had it not been for Anthony's convenient timing.

"How about you take that shower now and a nap. Your eyes are bloodshot."

"I don't want to sleep," I said, stubbornly. I was afraid of my own mind and what I would see when I closed my eyes. I knew avoiding sleep would be impossible, but I would fight it as long as I could.

"Suit yourself. There are more towels in the cupboard over there and when you're done, everything you need is in the bedroom," he said while standing up. He left me in the bathroom, and took the bloodied hand towel with him.

I took a hot shower, letting the scalding water cascade down my body. I scrubbed my skin raw. Somehow, I thought that if I scrubbed hard enough, maybe I could scrub all my problems away as well and the memory of last night.

In the bedroom, spread out across the bed were bags and bags of clothing. There was everything from pyjamas to underwear, denim, even socks and shoes, all in my size.

I picked out a pair of cotton underwear and a pair of pyjama bottoms and a t-shirt.

I removed all the bags from the bed and put them on the floor in the walk-in closet. I didn't know what I was supposed to do with them, if I should take them out and hang them up or not.

Sighing deeply, I pulled the covers back and climbed in the bed. I was tired and I couldn't fight it anymore, no matter how hard I tried. It was better being in here than out there. I didn't want to face Anthony, not again, not today.

I closed my eyes and let sleep take over.

When I woke up, I was surprised to see it was still light outside. I put my hands above my head and stretched, a decision I regretted instantly. My lower abdomen still hurt from Anthony's blows, although it wasn't as bad as previous times.