Chapter 16

WARNING: This story contains mature themes and is intended for mature readers.

EDWIN STEPHEN

The underground, a safe house so to speak. This where our men, our people come to relax, to get away from the outside world or to do their business, deals would sometimes go down here and a lot of money was traded.

Of course, only the select knew about this place. To get into the underground, one had to be a made guy, a high ranker, for men who have proven their loyalty.

No one knew of the existence of the underground, not the NYPD, not the FBI, not even our enemies. This was our safe haven, our hideaway, a place where business could be conducted without having to look over our shoulders.

My father had his own room here, as did my brother and so did I. It was in this room that I have been all day. After visiting my father this morning, his words still weighing heavily on my mind.

"You cannot demand respect if you do not follow tradition and fulfill your duties as a Don."

My new duties, my responsibilities required me to tie myself down, to have a wife, a family.

It was a ridiculous notion given the century that we live in, but tradition was tradition and family honor was family honor.

We could not appear weak. Others had already tried to invade, to take us when news broke of my father's incarceration. But their plans quickly failed when we retaliated just as strong as ever, but that did not mean they would not continue to try.

As I now lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling, I thought of my father's wishes. They were wishes that I could not and would not go against. My father even assured me he had the perfect wife waiting for me. Heidi was the daughter of a respectable family friend back in Italy. She would make the perfect wife, he assured me. She was a twenty-two year old who had been raised into this life. She would know her role well, she would know when to keep her mouth shut, she would know not to ask questions. She did not even have to love me or I her. All that was needed was for her to carry my last name and maybe one day, pop out a kid.

That was a role and a responsibility I did not want, but I agreed to, and by the end of the week, my soon to be wife will arrive.

Sighing deeply, I stood up and got out of bed. Taking my tie off and rolling up my sleeves. I needed to find my brother. I knew he would be here tonight, we had business we needed to take care of.

I headed down the hall and into our father's office. It would be easier to track Anthony down on camera than to have to search for him everywhere.

Every area of the underground was monitored, including the bathrooms. We could never take any chances.

I found Anthony easily in one of the private areas, but what I saw made my blood boil. He was not alone, three others were with him and so was she.

He had brought the little bambolina with him here.

They were all seated around where she stood in the middle of them. I could not see her face, she was not facing the camera. I turned the volume on, wondering what the hell Anthony was playing at now.