Chapter 34

WARNING: This story contains mature themes and is intended for mature readers.

EDWIN STEPHEN.

We couldn't stay at the estate forever, even though it was a better place for Isabella to be right now, I couldn't stay there any longer. I had business in the city to attend, and I wasn't going to leave my wife upstate alone, with another man.

Isabella...She's gotten better at being around me. After the failed day out, I made it a habit. Every day I took her out to town, just me and her. By the third day she had relaxed enough to enjoy herself.

She was almost euphoric as we walked hand in hand down the street. She had a smile on her face, not a forced one, a real one. It was the first time I had seen her smile, and I would do anything to keep that smile on her face.

She relaxed and I'll admit I did as well when she realized, no one recognized her. No one was looking at us, no one paid us any attention as we walked around. We walked around stores, bars, down by the lake, no one cared.

It was to be expected. The more time that went by, the more people would forget. After Charles's suicide, there was nothing mentioned about the case in the news anymore. It was typical, out of sight, out of mind. But that had been Lake Placid, we weren't bumping shoulders with people on the street. The city was different. She had lived here her whole life, she had friends, family around. Letting her go out in Manhattan, wouldn't be the same, not when there was a risk of someone recognizing her. It wouldn't be a permanent thing, it was just that more time needed to go by until she could have a somewhat normal life.

I have refused to go and see my father even though he has insisted, no, demanded I see him. I knew what he wanted. I had nothing to say to him, not now at least. We had bigger problems and one of those was Dante who, along with his son and daughter in law, have disappeared together.

Jack had agreed to stage a raid, but as it turns out, Jack did it the legal way. The FBI have been looking into some of Dante's finances. Turns out Dante is connected to a fraud case they have been working on. Jack got Rosaline all the copies and files from dad's case before anyone had a chance to look at them. But luck wasn't on our side. What my sister needed wasn't there. Rosaline is going out of her mind trying to put all the missing pieces together, and I am going out of my mind trying to track the bastard down.

I'll admit, my brother had been a bigger help than I first thought. I had expected him to track Dante down without informing me and killing him himself, but he was doing this my way. The good thing about this, all his attention and efforts were focused on tracking down Dante and Noah, that he had no time to think of Isabella. He hadn't even set foot in my apartment to see her since we have been back in the city.

I'm not blind and I'm not stupid. I know my brother has a sort of sick infatuation with her, one that I thought would subside after our marriage, but Anthony isn't fazed that he is drawn to a married woman, much less that the married woman is also his sister in law.

Sitting down at the bar, it was only Anthony, Luca and I in here. It was midday and wasn't set to open for another few hours.

Luca headed to the door and unlocked it. My sister waltzed inside with a huge grin on her face and a massive file in her hand.