Chapter 25

WARNING: This story contains mature themes and is intended for mature readers.

ISABELLA STANLEY

I felt different and yet I didn't. I felt as if the world around me had changed, yet nothing had shifted at all.

I can't deny and say I didn't feel a level of regret for what had happened last night, but I wasn't going to cry rape, or even blame Edwin, because I had played my part as well.

I could have stopped it, but I didn't.

I could have told him no, but I didn't.

The truth was, I wanted it, I wanted it as much as Edwin had wanted it last night. I don't know if it was because of the heat of the moment, or if it was because of something more.

This morning, Edwin had breakfast brought in. We ate together in the most uncomfortable silence before he said he had to leave, he had business to take care of, whatever that meant.

Edwin had always confused me, but now, more so than ever.

Did I ask him what was going to happen to me now? Did I ask him what I was supposed to do here? I knew Garrett was outside the door. I still wondered about James. I wondered where he was? Was he okay? Was he safe? Would I ever see him again?

No matter what direction my mind wondered now, it only added to my confusion. With every answer came another question.

Edwin wanted a wife, no, Edwin wanted me as his wife.

How would that work?

Does that mean he was going to let me go on the condition I marry him first? And if that was the case, if I ever saw my father again, what would I say to him? How could I ever look at him the same way again when I know the truth, the real him, the lies?

The bedroom door swung open in a rather dramatic fashion. It bounced off of the wall only to be stopped by his hand.

All blood drained from my face when I saw Anthony leaning against the doorframe with his arms folded across his chest.

"You look better than I had expected," he said, stepping into the room and closing the door behind him. "I should kill Garrett and Victoria as well for not letting my plan come to fruition. But, I think I should thank them more for protecting you."

"Why?" I frowned.

Anthony shrugged, not bothering to offer me any sort of answer, not that I had expected him to.

With each step Anthony took towards me, I took two back until I had nowhere to run.

"Will you stop moving away from me. I'm not going to hurt you," he said.

If I could have stopped myself from laughing in his face, I would have. The look he gave me was murderous, it was a look I was accustomed to seeing on his face. What I wasn't accustomed to and what shocked me, was him reigning in his anger.