CHAPTER 17

WARNING: This story contains mature themes and is intended for mature readers.

EDWIN STEPHEN

I had taken Isabella back to my room and gave her a mild sleeping pill. I took my shirt off and dressed her in it, somehow I didn't think she would react too well if she woke up naked, next to me.

It was now well past nine in the morning. I had never been a person to sleep in, so this was a first for me.

I knew she was awake, I didn't need to face her to know that.

She was laying on her side facing in my direction. Both her hands were tucked under under the pillow where her head lay. I felt her eyes on me and knew she was watching my every move.

I turned on my side to face her. She quickly closed her eyes, pretending to still be asleep, it could have worked for her had she been able to control her labored breathing. I hoped she was not about to have another attack again.

"I know you're awake, dolcezza." I chuckled. "Open your eyes."

Her eyes fluttered open gently. She studied my face with a cautious expression.

"Are you alright? Does your head hurt?" I asked.

"No, I feel fine," she assured me.

She sat up, pulling the covers along with her, wrapping them securely around herself until she realized she was clothed. Her brows knitted together in confusion as she stared down at herself.

"I figured you might not appreciate waking up in bed next to me, naked," I said.

"You dressed me?" She asked, pulling the covers back to take a look.

"I did."

"Did you…" She swallowed nervously. "Did you sleep next to me?"

"I did."

"Oh."

I watched her as she debated with herself. Biting on her lower lip, she threw the covers off of herself and climbed out of bed. She tried pulling my shirt down as far as it would go.

I couldn't help but groan at the sight in front of me. She was something else, something unique. The new hair color suited her, it made her bright eyes stand out that much more. She was beautiful, and even with the black circles under her eyes from the smudged make-up, she still took my breath away.

"Can I...Is there a bathroom I could use, please?" She asked.

"Over there," I said, pointing her to the bathroom door.

She was quick to run out of my sight. She locked the bathroom door, it didn't worry me, she had nowhere to go, there were no windows and no other door.

I threw my head back on the pillow, rubbing my fingers roughly over my eyes. What am I doing? What am I thinking?

I felt bad for her. She was the only innocent party in all of this mess, and if Anthony had let me handle things the right way, Charles Stanley would be buried in concrete right now and Isabella would have never needed to be involved in any of this.