Chapter 2

Skylor's POV

My dad told me transferring into public school after being home schooled my entire life was going to be hard. It's a big jump from being taught by Clouse on our island to being out in a classroom full of other students.

I thought I would be prepared. I watched all of the big high school movies, the Mean Girls and Sixteen Candles type movies. Even with that, I didn't expect everyone to be so cliquey. I thought that was exaggerated for the sake of the movies. However, every group seems impenetrable.

In the center of the quad, the "popular" kids sit. It's easy to tell. The boys are loud and don't care if they bother the people around them. The girls in the group are all on their phones, not caring about actual socializing. My hope is I can walk past them without getting made fun of.

I'm planning on sitting near one of the trees for all of lunch. I'll try to make some friends. I start my walk across the quad at a normal pace so I don't look weird. I set my eyes on a tree in the distance with a girl sitting underneath it peacefully. That's my destination.

"Hey, new girl," someone says right beside me as I walk past the cool kids table. My heart starts beating in my chest rapidly as I turn to the owner of the voice. A girl a couple of inches shorter than me stands with her hip popped out slightly, facing me. Her hair is a shade of white I've never seen before. All of her features are dainty, but its clear that she's the leader. She should not be underestimated. "Want to sit with us?" She gives me a smile.

"Sure," it's either say yes, or piss off the queen bee, and I'd rather not make enemies my first day. She brings me to the center of their section of tables and sits down. I take the seat next to her. On my left, there's a girl with purple hair tied back like the rest of them. On the queen's left, there's another blonde, but not to her degree.

Across from us, there are four boys. Furthest to the left is a boy with a white track suit on. His hair is brown, and he's wearing red sunglasses.

Sitting next to him is a bulkier boy. He looks as if he's all muscles. He has black hair that is swoopy, but he looks like he's in a bad mood, so I move on to the next guy.

The next one is obviously their leader, the one all of the girls in the school swoon over. He has brown hair that floofs up. His eyes are concealed with black sunglasses, and he has a slight smirk on his face that surely makes a lot of girls throw themselves at him. I have to admit, he is attractive, but I'm not going to make a fool out of myself going after him.

Finally, the guy furthest right looks a bit more mischievous. His hair is jet black, shoulder length, with a single streak of green. His smirk is more obvious than the other boy's.

"Everyone," the girl who brought me over here gets everyone's attention, even though she already had it,"this is the new girl..." she drifts off.

It takes me a second to recognize she's waiting for me to say my name,"Skylor."

"Skylor," she says again as if she knew it.

"I'm Kai," the leader introduces himself, taking off his sunglasses. Predictably, his eyes are brown. "The others are Griffin, Cole, and Morro."

"I'm Harumi, and my girls next to me are Chamille," she gestures to the one with purple hair,"and Mackenzie." The two of them wave from both sides of me.

"What school did you come from?" Kai asks me, resting his chin on his own hand.

"Home school."

Harumi seems shocked,"Really? I thought home school kids were supposed to be losers."

"My dad ran his business off a private island. I grew up there. We moved here so I could have a normal last year of high school," I briefly explain my backstory. On purpose, I exclude the part where my dad was forced onto that island as a jail sentence and wasn't allowed back into Ninjago until last summer.