Chapter 25

Nya's POV

"Where are we going?" Jay asks as I give him directions to our destination. We decided to switch up the scenery of where we hang out from my house, and I knew the perfect place.

"It's a surprise," I smile. "Did I tell you that Skylor wanted to play just dance the last time I went over? I had to remind her that I was in a boot."

"Hey, I had to remind you that you were in a boot. You asked to drive, but your driving foot is the one in a boot," he defends Skylor. When I thought of the idea to come here, I wanted to drive us. I have my license, but I never get to use it. The boot is ensuring that I still can't use it.

"You're right. Anyways, she said she was going to tell Kai about Harumi."

"How do you think Kai is going to take it? You've told me he has a temper, but do you think he's going to get mad or get sad?"

"Both honestly. First, he's going to get mad, but then he's going to crash and burn. I'm just happy it's not going to be me telling him," I admit. "We're here."

"Isn't this the diner you went to with Cole?" he asks, looking at the sign.

"I decided that I liked it too much to associate it with Cole. Now, it's just my favorite restaurant," I declare. Jay parks the car in the open parking lot, hopping out of the car to get my crutches. He then walks around and hands them to me.

"What good food do they have here?" he asks, looking at the exterior of the building. It's very retro, resembling diners from the 50's. The outside is very metallic, and it is matched with a neon sign across the front of the building.

"I enjoyed the garden salad, but I'm pretty sure anything they have is good," I admit. We reach the front door, and I try to open it, but I can't because of my crutches. Jay lets me try, since he knows I just want to feel capable, but opens it once it's clear I can't do it.

"Nya, honey," Rosemarie smiles at me when I walk in, but she grows worried when she looks at my ankle. "What happened?"

"I landed on it weird and broke it," I tell her, purposely omitting the part about why it happened.

"Hopefully you heal up quickly. Is it only going to be you two today?"

"Yeah."

"Follow me," she instructs, and the two of us do so. She sits us at a booth. "Here's your table. It's so sweet that you two came out here. I love seeing siblings spending time together." Both Jay and I widen our eyes.

"No, no, no. This is my boyfriend, not my brother," I correct her, politely.

"Oh my, I'm sorry. I just assumed he was the brother you and Cole used to talk about," she quickly apologizes.

"It's fine."

"I'll leave you two kids to figure out what you want to eat," she gives us a smile before walking to seat someone else.

"I don't look like your brother, right?" Jay asks once she walks away.

"Nope. She just really liked me with Cole, so she was probably just hoping," I reason. Jay and I don't have any prominent features that are the same. Our hair and eye colors are sharply contrasting, and our face shapes and facial features also don't look similar.

Jay starts to look at his menu, since he's never been here, but I already know I want the garden salad. "Once you're done finding out what you want, can you read me what you have for your speech so far?"

For the homecoming rally, the ASB president has to give a speech in front of the entire school. Since it's coming up, Jay has to start practicing what he has so far.