Chapter 17

Harumi's POV

"Have you ever been to a football game before?" I ask Lloyd after the meeting. As usual, we have to wait until everyone leaves before he can take me to my house to get ready.

"What type of question is that?" he raises an eyebrow. "Of course I haven't. In case you haven't noticed, that isn't necessarily my scene."

"You should come tonight," I suggest, a hopeful smile on my face.

"I think I'll pass," he dismisses the offer, slightly amused.

"You can't go your entire high school career without going to a football game. That's just barbaric," I insist.

He shrugs, popping a skittle in his mouth,"Then guess I'm barbaric."

"The snack bar has skittles," I try to provide an incentive.

"I have a skittle stash at home," he states the obvious. As the last person leaves the warehouse, Lloyd twirls the keys in his hand. "Besides, who wants to watch a ton of douches slam into each other anyways? No offense."

"Well, the snack bar is pretty bomb. I also heard that the cheerleading squad has a pretty bomb routine they're going to perform," once I say that, a look of realization crosses his face.

"You want me to come to watch you," he verbalizes his epiphany.

"Took you enough hints," we walk out of the warehouse. Lloyd turns around to lock the place up.

"Look Harumi, it's not that I don't want to watch you. I need to go home and make some final preparations for my dad's return, and..." he starts, but I cut him off.

"You don't need to explain yourself. It was dumb for me to even see," the two of us walk to the Sons of Garmadon van, which he drives around all the time. We hop in, and he drives away.

"Kai will be there, right?" he brings up, guiltily.

"Yeah, he will be. I still can't be with him though because of the rule that got put in place when I joined," I bring up. A large part of my is surprised that Lloyd hasn't removed that yet, but I don't know what to expect from him most of the time.

"Not everyone trusts your dedication yet because..."

"...I don't hang out with you guys full time. I know," I fill in what I already know is coming.

"I know you're committed, if that helps," he gives me a soft smile at my obvious frustration.

"I just don't understand why I have to give up everything to be accepted," I shrug, pulling out my phone. Kai texted in our group chat that he forgot his pads at home and had to go back for them fifteen minutes before their warm up and that the other guys should tell the coach he's going to be late.

"You shouldn't have to. They just don't like different."

"In their defense, I don't either. I don't think anyone likes being out of their comfort zone," I type in the text that I might be late to warm ups before slipping my phone in my pocket.

"It's unnerving to feel out of your element. When you're so used to being a certain way and then something else comes in and switches that up, it's tough. It's essential to better yourself though," he finishes what sounds like an excerpt from a motivational book.

"There's also a thrill to being out of your element though. Like, when a person comes in and changes your whole thought process, it's interesting," I look out the window. When we finally reach my house, I get out of the van quickly since I'm already late.

"Thank you for the ride. Have fun getting ready for your dad."

"Have fun cheering."

---