Chapter 23

Nya's POV

"I can't believe he's still not home yet," I groan, my head resting on Jay's lap. My foot is all wrapped up in a soft cast, elevated on the arm of the chair. When Jay brought me to the doctors, they took x-rays, and they saw that it was a clean break, meaning I'll be on crutches for homecoming.

"He probably saw Cole drunk and knew he was screwed," Jay continues to play with my hair, twirling the dark strands between his fingers. He showed up early this morning to hang out with me, and he even brought a bouquet of bellflowers, just like he apparently did last Friday.

Kai, on the other hand, still hasn't arrived back home from the party. It's lucky for him, because as soon as he walks through that door, he's getting no mercy from me. He usually takes a while to get home, but for the first time, I actually want him to hurry up, so I can let this rage out.

"Can you pass me the painkillers? My ankle feels like it's going to be the death of me," I wince, feeling the throbbing in my ankle. Every time my heart beats, I feel it in my ankle, and I hate it.

"I would, but the doctor said to only take two every four hours, and it's only been three," Jay rereads the prescription.

"Please. It's torture," I beg. He looks like he considers it for a bit, but then he goes back to playing with my hair.

"In an hour," he hums, leaning down to place a kiss on my forehead. My eyes flutter shut at the kiss, but I still sigh.

"I can't even take ibuprofen?" I question. He shakes his head.

"The doctor also said not to mix painkillers," he starts braiding my hair, but part way through, I sit up.

"The doctor never said anything about natural painkillers," I turn so I'm now facing him, rotating my body so my ankle is now elevated on the other armrest.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, kissing does release endorphins," I suggest, wrapping my arms around the back of his neck. He smiles, and I lean in, pressing my lips against his. Our lips fit together perfectly, moving in sync. As things start to heat up, I hear the sound of Kai's truck pulling up. I pull away. "Can you get me my crutches?"

He stands up and walks across the room to grab them for me. I stand up by myself, taking the crutches from him, and placing them under my armpits.

When Kai walks through the door, he doesn't even seem to notice us. He already seems drained, but I'm going to make sure he's even more drained.

"Kai," I say bitterly. He groans, not even looking over at us.

"I know, I should've been home earlier, but can you save the lecture for later? I had a bad night," he closes the door behind him, starting to walk towards his room.

"You had a bad night? Imagine the night I had," I glare at him. He turns to look at me, and his eyes widen, but I can't tell if it's because Jay or my ankle.

"Oh my god, what the hell happened to your ankle?" he completely ignores Jay for the first time ever.

"Well, Cole brought me to a party and got drunk when I was in the bathroom throwing up. When I noticed that he was drunk, I said I never wanted to see him again, and he slammed me against a wall before dropping me. I landed right on my ankle," I explain snappily.

"Are you okay?" he asks, concerned.

"Well, the night had one more highlight after that, one that I know you want to hear. I called Jay to pick me up, and I told him that I like him but that I didn't want to say anything because you super shaked that you saw him flirting with someone else. Guess what? He told me that was 100% false," I hobble over to him on my crutches.