Chapter 3

Nya's POV

I sit in class, ready to present, long before the bell rings. I can see my old lunch table from where I sit under the tree, and sometimes it's torture. Harumi finally filled my spot after two years with the new girl, which I don't mind, but I hope she can survive.

Sometimes, Cole watches me during lunch. I see him. When I'm working in my notebook, he'll stare at me. As soon as I look up, he looks away. It's unnerving. That's why I never let go of a chance to get out of there a bit early. If I had another place to sit, I happily would sit there, but since Harumi turned me into a member of the "do not talk to" list, no one lets me talk to them, let alone sit near them.

That's why a small smile appears on my face when Jay walks into the room. I don't know if he simply doesn't know, which would be a shocker because everyone knows, or doesn't care that Harumi wants to socially exile me as some punishment for me leaving her group. He talked to me like an actual person, not like some gross creature.

Admittedly, I was a bit skeptical of Jay at first. He stuttered at least twice a sentence and could barely get any words out at first. Once I got him warmed up to talking to me, he actually seemed like a really cool guy.

"Looks like someone's early," I tease as he walks in before the bell rings.

"You're earlier," he responds, setting his backpack down at his desk before sitting down.

"I had to get away from the stares from my ex who won't leave me alone. What's your excuse?"

He looks at me with his bright blue eyes,"I finished my lunch and got bored." I've never had a friend with blue eyes. All of the girls in cheer either had hazel, brown, or green eyes, and all of the guys Kai hung out with at the time had brown eyes. I wouldn't say Jay is my friend, but he's the closest thing I have right now, even only after one conversation.

"You ready to present?" I ask him. After I ask that, I notice how nervous he is. It's obvious in his demeanor. He's fidgeting with his fingers, and I can see his chest rising and falling at a quick pace.

"Not really," he admits.

"Want to know my secret for how to present well?" I offer. He immediately nods. "Think, how many people in the crowd can you name? How many of those people do you actually talk to?"

"None," he answers.

"So that's how many people's opinions actually matter. If you won't talk to them, why does it matter what they think? This class is all about improving," I inform him.

He sits there, thinking about it. Finally, he lets out a sigh,"You're right. It's just...hard."

"It takes a while to get use to, but when you have that mentality, the stress goes down," I speak from personal experience.

For a long time, I genuinely hated myself. Everyone told me I should for leaving the group. They told me I was a terrible person, but I have my reasons, and I stand behind them to this day. Initially, their glares and whispers caused me to lie in my room, crying at night. Slowly, I've learnt to roll my eyes and keep going with my day. They don't matter to me anymore.

Immediately after I say that, the bell rings. Students flood into the room, filling their seats. They chat with their friends, and several panic after remembering  about thenspeech that's due today. Once the bell rings again, everyone goes quiet.

"We're going to get started. Who would like to volunteer?" I look over to Jay, and he shakes his head side to side, signaling for me to not. As predicted, Zane is the first one to raise his hand. "Good enthusiasm Zane."