Chapter 4

Lloyd's POV

"What are we grabbing?" Brad asks me. Brad, Gene, and I all sit in the van, dressed in all black, even up to our hands.

"Grab anything that looks of value; rings, other jewelry, antiques, etcetera, just not too much of anything," I order them. "We have to be quick, one trip in and out. This neighborhood has high security."

The three of us get out of our van, locking it behind us. I pull my hood up, concealing my face. We walk to the outside of a huge, gated house. No cars are in the driveway, and all the lights are off.

"Rich people, always on vacation," I roll my eyes. Bending over, I prop Gene and Brad over the gate. Brad then lifts Gene up, and they help pull me over the gate. With our heads down, we head to the back door. I wiggle the back door, but it doesn't budge. Out of instinct at this point, I dig my gloved hand into the potted plant next to me. Within seconds, I come out with a key.

"He's good," I hear Brad murmur to Gene. I stick the key in the lock, and it pops open, giving us access. The three of us rush into the house. As normal, Brad takes the bottom floor, Gene takes the second, and I take the third.

I run up the stairs and pull out the flashlight I was holding in my pocket. Once I enter the first room, I'm greeted with a giant screen and dozens of reclining chairs. It's an indoor movie theater. I run up to the projector. In the bucket underneath it, there's dozens of movies on film. I grab several of them, not even making a dent in the bucket.

I move onto the next room. A huge king sized bed sits in the center of the room. There are several dressers lining the walls. What catches my eye is the jewelry box on top of one of the many dressers. With fast steps, I walk over to it. It's covered in a thick layer of dust.

Slowly to avoid altering the layer of dust, I open the lid of the jewelry box. Dozens of bracelets, rings, earrings, and necklaces are coated in dust. Several gemstones are embedded in each individual accessory. I take a couple of each type, dropping them in my bag, and closing the box back up slowly.

I sweep through the rest of the upper floor, grabbing anything I see interest in. Several more piece of jewelry find their way into my bag along with about a dozen books from their massive library. 

When I make it downstairs, Brad and Gene are both at the door. The three of us make our way out of the house, locking the door and putting the key back in the exact same place I found it. Scurrying around to the side of the gate, we help Gene get over before throwing the bags over to him. I help Brad over. Then, they help me get over. We head over to our van, throwing the bags in the back, and we hop in. All three of us take off our hoods as we start driving.

"I'll pawn this stuff tomorrow," I inform them.

Brad looks through each of the bags, "Will this be enough?"

I shake my head,"Not even close, but we're getting closer."

Gene shifts in his seat,"Well maybe if we grabbed more than just a little bit of their excess and actually got the big things like the flat screens and..."

"If we grabbed more than a bit of their excess then people would catch onto us. By grabbing a little at a time, we get the money from a variety of sources, and none have an idea we even touched their stuff," I snap at him. I learnt this strategy from my dad. While it takes significantly longer than a couple of big heists, it makes it so there's no cops watching us or extra protection.

 Brad and Gene tend to want the immediate gratification that comes with the big steals. It's the patience that the smaller scale steals bring that pays off in the long run.