Chapter 14

***- this will mark the section of the chapter that isn't for those who are triggered easily

Nya's POV

"You have to clean up after yourself," I groan, seeing the pile of dirty dishes in the sink. Only two people live here, and yet it seems like there's at least a dozen people by the sheer amount of dishes.

"Or we just...don't care because no one is here to boss us around," Kai lies across the couch, sprawled out. His gaze never leaves the screen, his thumbs hitting the controls on the Xbox controller.

"Okay but we still have to eat on plates," I explain to him. He shrugs.

"Those are all from today," he explains.

Switching my gaze from the giant pile of plates, I look at the clock. It's nearly one. Kai woke up at noon. "Why do you need to eat that much food? You don't need a plate for each individual food item you know."

"I'm a growing boy, sis. What can I say?" he moves one hand from his controller to grab a hand full of chips from the bowl in front of him and shoves them in his mouth.

"Don't you have something more productive to do than Xbox?" I question him. I never see him put in any work towards anything. While he leisures through everything, I'm always swamped in school work. Any time I'm not occupied with that I like spending with Jay.

"Nope," he pops the letter p for extra emphasis.

"So you can help me with the dishes?" I suggest.

When we were little, Kai and I would always argue on who got to help mom dry the dishes. Kai would argue that it should be him because he hates feeling wet so he'd do an extra good job at drying everything off. I, on the other hand, argued that I should because I love water, and I'm not afraid to get wet.

"No can do, sis. Cole and I are on a mission right now to defeat this snake looking guy," he never even looks up at me.

"I'll let you dry," I offer, a little smile on my face thinking back to those easy times.

"I'm busy," he groans. Of course he couldn't help. He never does.

I start to rinse off the dishes, loading them up into the dishwasher while I put others on the other side of the sink to be hand washed. I get so sucked into that I don't realize what time it is. By the time I go to start hand washing and drying by myself, there's a knock on the door. My eyes automatically flicker to the clock that reads 1:15.

"You get it," Kai puts the responsibility on me, as always. Lucky for him, I was already walking towards the door. When I open the door, I'm met with the blue eyes that can melt away all my worries and my favorite smile.

"Hi there," I smile at him. He already has on his contagious smile.

"I brought snacks. We're going to need them if we're writing our entire speech today," he lifts up the bag in his hand.

"Thank you. All of the food in my house has pretty much been eaten up by a troll," I glance over my shoulder at my brother who is still in concentration mode.

"At least it was a hot troll," my brother defends himself, shoving more chips into his mouth. "Who's here?" he asks with his mouth full

I move out of the way to let Jay inside. "Jay."

"So Walmart brand Cole?" he snarks back. Jay looks down, awkwardly shifting on his feet.

"Excuse me?" I switch from calm to full rage in a second. I've been trying to control my emotions lately, but whenever Kai talks bad about Jay I can't help it.