waiting game

"i must say ro. you're lookin good" sabrina said as the girl finished her last round of shooting. "yeah?" sabrina nodded. sabrina did a little something that she wasn't sure rowan would appreciate. the night after rowans drunken fight she made a call. she called pia rowans head coach. "hello?" "hi pia i'm assuming?" "uhh yes this is her may i ask who i'm speaking with?" "thats beside the point listen i have a question" "uh okay?" "well my friend rowan is in recovery obviously-" "rowan sanchez? how is she?!"uh good good. listen i understand you not giving her her january call up but i can have her ready by april for you. to try out for the olympic roster" sabrina said nervously. "uh i appreciate this i do. but are you sure she'll be ready. it's a big thing to do" "she'll be ready she won't be the same but she'll be ready"
she definitely would not be the same.
sabrina say around anxiously awaiting a call for days. she decided to not tell rowan so if she didn't get a call it wouldn't hurt her more.
it was 6:30 AM on a sunday morning and both girls were sleeping peacefully. sabrina laying on rowans chest her hand on her stomach. "RING RING RING" rowan rubbed the sleep from her eyes hoping the noise didn't awake the sleeping girl next to her. no they hadn't kissed or anything since the night at the diner but they liked to cuddle. whats wrong with that?
she hit decline when sabrina cuddled in closer to her before it rang again. she grabbed it and saw the caller ID before sitting up quickly. "uh hello?" rowan trembled. "rowan! how are you" pia said. "i'm"
rowan wasn't sure how to answer the question. she was a mess a miserable mess.
"i'm okay. how are you?" "i'm well i'm well. listen rowan how are you as far as the injury?" pia asked sincerely. rowan thought about how to respond. she had yet to really be on a field to even scrimmage. "i'm better. i'm not back 100% but i'm uh i'm good" she said. "rowan i would like for you to come to olympic roster  camp. i want you to return" pia said. "yes coach. i'll be there"
by this time sabrina was up and listening to their conversation.
"i uh i uh i'm off to camp in a few days" rowan said shocked. "oh i know. come on. we have some work to do" sabrina smiled as they got up. they sat there that night at the kay household eating dinner. "honestly rowan how are you feeling about going?" sabrina asked. "i'm uh i'm excited. i can't wait to see the girls and play" rowan lied. obviously well enough because sabrina believed it. truth was she was scared shitless. she had constant nightmares of the injury and she would feel her lungs start to squeeze when she stepped on the field and she refused to be inside the 18 yard box because when she would stand there it would replay in her head. she didn't want to see the girls. they knew of the 15 year old rowan who was a stand out star. not of the 16 year old rowan who spent her 16th birthday cooped up in a hospital bed watching as her team lost the world cup. but sabrina worked so hard for this for her and she needed to make her proud.
"okay so camp is what a week?" sabrina asked as rowan sat on her bed. "ok so boom 3 pairs of shorts yep ok and sweats and mmm more shorts" she talked to herself as she packed for rowan. "hey uh we might need to make a stop at the mall" rowan told her. "why?" "cause i kinda trashed all my training clothes and cleats" rowan said trying to shake her head of the memory. "be right back" sabrina said. she went out to her car and pulled the box from the hidden compartment in her trunk. she carried it upstairs. "you really thought i would trash this?" sabrina asked. "well you've never been much of a listener so" rowan joked. they finished packing more like sabrina finished packing before they decided they needed ice cream. they went downstairs to the freezer and picked out the cartoon before settling into rowans bed and watching the vampire diaries. "hate this show" she groaned. "well I love it so zip it so i can see what stefan does to elena"
sabrina snapped back. the two fell asleep early because rowan had an early ass flight. their usual position switched between rowan spooning the girl or sabs head on rowans chest. today it was spoon. her alarm went off and rowan just wanted to snooze it and stay in bed with sabrinas warm body cuddled into her but sabrina deserved better so she shut it off and the two girls got up. rowan went into the bathroom to brush her teeth while sabrina changed and then they switched. sabrina threw on leggings and a long sleeve while rowan wore shorts and a long sleeve. rowan pulled her suitcase and soccer bag down the stairs. they stopped for breakfast at starbucks and ate in the car. when they got to the airport sabrina walked her too her gate. right before her flight was called she turned to her. "you know that if anything. ANYTHING goes wrong you call me and i'll be on the first flight out of here okay" she told her. "i love you ro. i'm behind you 100%. good luck" she said. "i love you. thank you" rowan said kissing her head as they wrapped eachother up. "you call me every night and text me when you land" sabrina called out after her. the rest was up to rowan. the cards were in her hands now. she watched as rowan disappeared into the plane. " i believe in you" she whispered.
rowan sat on the plane. she put her ear buds in. she wasn't whole she wasn't rowan she wouldn't be her for a long time but she knew that whenever she found rowan this is what she would want from her.