decisions

"hey ro can you come with me?" pia called rowan who was in the lobby sitting with hope. rowan looked up from the tablet she was playing fruit ninja on. "yeah. i'll be right there" rowan arose from hopes lap and walked with her coach. "have a seat rowan" pia told her. "sooo what's up?" rowan asked unaware of why she was sitting in her coaches office at the hotel. "rowan i'm about to tell you very long story. are you ready?" pia asked. rowan nodded. rowan was technically born in spain, although she was conceived in the united states , she was born in spain. her mother left once rowan was born so all she knew of the women was she was from spain. her father was from mexico and spain as well so rowan didn't have an ounce of american blood in her body. however her father was stationed in the states so she technically only spent her first 2 years of her life in spain and the rest of her life in the US. rowans situation was unlike any other. the big idea was that rowan had a choice to make. she got to choose a country. spain or the states. "what? no one ever told me about this" rowan said shocked. "yeah it's unheard of. never has this happened in US soccer history. but it did happen and now you have a choice. however since you were/ are under 18 you'll still be representing the states in london but fifa wants you to have a decision by world cup qualifiers." pia said. so cool rowan had 3 years to decide her fate. "that's not the only thing. real madrid's coach who also happens to be spain's national teams head coach has made you an offer. to play overseas with real madrid and play with the national team. but don't stress he'll be at the olympics and you'll meet him then and we can all talk ok?" pia informed her. yeah don't stress rowan it's not like you have 2 countries who you have to choose from. rowan nodded. "oh and pia. let's not tell anyone about this" rowan said. she didn't want to deal with all of her teammates questions. as the trip continued on she thought of it. maybe she would thrive in spain. i mean she already spoke the language plus she truly admired the way the spanish played football. she imagined herself playing with people like christiano ranoldo. but she also remembered that she had people here. hope was here. tobin was here. sabrina. hey speaking of sabrina! rowan quickly dialed up the girl. "hey ro. what up?" sab asked. she was completely silent as rowan explained the situation. "damn. that's crazy. have you thought about the offer?" "yeah. i'll meet up with their coach in london so we'll see then" "don't stress till then ro. just go out there and do what you were born to do" sabrina re assured her. "did you get my graduation gift?" rowan asked with a smile. "yes. my very own pair of green turtle shorts and a rowan sanchez jersey! wow how thoughtful" sabrina laughed into the phone. "i knew you'd like it" rowan teased. "well ro. we did it. we survived highschool. oh and i was so right. mason signed to play D3 football and cassie dumped his sorry ass" sabrina informed her. "hmm good for him" she said sarcastically. "haha. i'll talk to you later ro. love you"

"it's almost time ro, how you feelin?" hope asked me. "nervous. excited. anxious" rowan listed. "it's gonna be so fun. we're gonna have a blast" hope told her. "i've never been to london. not even with the youth teams" rowan told her. "you're gonna love it ro. we'll go get coffee and eat bread and croissants" hope rambled. "and go shopping!" carli chimed from behind hope. "shopping?" rowan frowned. "come on ro. maybe they even have some shorts with baguettes" carli said wiggling her eyebrows. "haha ok ok you guys win" rowan said surrendering. she thought to herself how fun this olympics could be. she had never been to the olympics before and ofcourse she was nervous but the idea of her and hope and carli hanging in london sounded awesome. for the first time since her night with sabrina she felt a real spark of happiness. "ro! soccer tennis. i need my partner" tobin hollered. "got you bro!" rowan yelled back. she tapped hope and carli's legs before hooping up and following tobin. "you guys really don't think you can take us right?" alex asked as they met them for soccer tennis. "please. you and kell. piece of cake" tobin smirked. "right ro?" she asked rowan. "right tobs" rowan replied giving her a fist bump. sure enough tobin and rowan and their combination of quick feet and sick juggling. "hey alex what was that you said earlier?"
rowan teased. "whatever ro" alex said annoyed. "sooo guys what do you say losers buy ice cream?" rowan asked. "ice cream? i'm in!" kelley said. "kell? carry me!" rowan hollered jumping on kelley's back. alex stood behind clearly pissed that she lost. tobin being tobin walked back. "come on superstar" she said pulling her along. alex couldn't help but smile as the two caught up with kelley and rowan. "let's go slowpokes!" rowan yelled. "shut up ro" alex teased slapping rowans butt. "hey. i'll tell hope" rowan said as everyone chuckled. "hopes not here to save you now" alex chuckled as she took rowan from kelley. "ahhh alex. tobs help!" rowan screeched as alex spun her around. everyone laughed and finally ended up at the ice cream place. "ok kids go up and order" alex told the group. they all rushed to be first and alex chuckled at them. they all sat outside content with their ice creams. "ro" alex laughed rowan looked up from her cone. "come here" she laughed as she wiped the ice cream from from the youngest face. rowan squirmed as everyone laughed. "wow she's going to the olympics but can't even ice cream properly." kelley teased. "tobs what do we say?" rowan asked as she turned to tobin. they counted down one two three. "if there wasn't a mess. you didn't enjoy it" they said together. they all broke out on smiles and left the ice cream place. on the walk home rowan watched as alex and tobin walked together and kelley was on her phone. crazy to think tomorrow she would be on her way to one of her biggest dreams. she hadn't even really thought of it yet. her dreams would come true tomorrow. well kinda. winning gold was her dream. as her dad told her before the world cup. this is where your dreams come true rowan or where theyre left to die.