golden goodbyes

it was the day of the final. rowan would finally get the start. she had only seen about 90 minutes this entire tournament which was something she wasn't used too. they played the match and won. rowan scoring finally off of no assist. just simply rowan doing rowan. taking the ball from midfield and doing what she does best. when the whistle blew she ran to hope. she jumped in her arms and celebrated with her. "god. i'm so proud of you ro!" hope said as she squeezed her tightly again. "this is so cool guys. not only are we olympians. but we're GOLD MEDALISTS!!!" rowan said jumping. carli hugged her and tobin and everyone. when they walked to the podium and received their medals she kissed it and looked towards the camera and said. "for you sab" before returning to her team. she took a second to let it sink in. she was a champion. she let herself feel satisfied for a little before telling herself onto the next thing. she walked into the locker room and watched as her teammates drank bottles upon bottles of champagne. she was gonna miss this. miss them. they got to the hotel and were greeted by friends and family. rowan jumped into her dads arms. "my baby girl! finally a champion" he said proudly. she hugged every member of their squadron. for once she was thankful her dad happens to be stationed in london. then her eyes set on her favorite set of eyes. "come here loser" sabrina said opening her arms. rowan slipped right into them. "i'm so proud of you" sabrina said. "i'm not done yet" rowan said. "i know" sabrina whispered back. "here. i want you to have this" rowan said as she handed her her medal. "without you i wouldn't even be here let alone win this". sabrina stared in awe. "i can't take this ro. i love you and just watching you is plenty for me" sabrina said. rowan smiled at her. they celebrated all night. laughing hanging out with their families. just living. basking in the moment. by 3 am everyone had seemingly gone to bed but rowan crept out of her hotel room with her suitcase. sabrina handed her another suitcase filled with items rowan requested she bring. she sat in the lobby as she sorted through everything. she gave sabrina some of her stuff from the olympics to take home. she put her last few things in the last suitcase. "here. take this. please" pia said handing her a picture from tonight. "thank you." she said as she slid it into her backpack. she zipped up everything one last time before heading to the entrance of the hotel. "thank you. for everything pia. i really really appreciate it" rowan said as she hugged her. "thank you rowan. i wish you luck on your journey" pia said. rowan turned to her dad. "good luck baby girl" he said as he hugged her tightly and kissed her head. "bye dad. i love you" she said. the two gave her some privacy with sabrina. sabrina let the tears slide down her eyes. "i'm gonna miss you ro. but i can't pretend well last forever" sabrina said. "i know. can we at least write letters. twice a year so i can make sure you're okay?" rowan asked. "ofcourse ro. i'm so so proud of you. good luck" sabrina said. rowan leaned in and kissed her passionately. "goodbye rowan" sabrina whispered as they pulled away. "goodbye sab" rowan said pulling her into a tight hug before exiting the doors. she hoped into the taxi and was gone.

the next morning.
everyone woke up and met in the breakfast room. they all engaged in conversation carli interrupted them. "hey guys. where's the baby?" she asked. pia cleared her throat. she handed carli a note which she read aloud.
guys,
sorry i'm not with you right now. please don't ask for me. you'll find out by 5 pm london time. i am sorry.
love always
-rowan
"what does this mean?" hope asked. "let's just honor her wishes. we'll find out soon enough" christie said. and they would.
it was 5 pm and pia asked them to gather in the meeting room. the next day they would leave to head back. "take a seat and watch the screen please" pia said and everyone swore they heard her voice crack. they all grew very anxious as they turned their attention to the screen. rowan was sitting at a table wearing what looked to be a spain jersey.
the reports voice rang out with words that shocked the world.
BREAKING SOCCER NEWS.
"rowan sanchez has left the united states to play with real madrid Fc and spain's national team!"
next was an interview with rowan.
"hi. i'm rowan sanchez. left midfielder for real madrid fc and spain's women's national team" rowan said into the camera. the interview continued on as rowan explained how this was even possible and her decision.
"i am extremely proud to be able to now represent spain and play with these amazing women. i am ready to play and turn this next chapter on my career."

"spain is now my home"
hope sat there with no expression as did the entire team. hope looked on her phone. rowan sanchez and it popped up with
rowan sanchez
17 year old professional soccer player for real madrid FC. she currently plays on spain's national team and formerly on the USWNT.
"formerly?" hope mumbled. by this time everyone had anger and sadness.
rowan was with spain now.