XIV.

Chapter Fourteen | The New Vampirism

Every day in every way we are leaving our mark.
—Rachael Bermingham

Jacob and Bella ran into the house, holding hands

"I imprinted on Bella." Jacob said.

"Why now?" Chaska asked.

"I don't know, we were talking and I told her to let her wall down then she looked me into my eyes and I felt it. The imprint pull." Jacob answered.

"Bella has a gift." I said.

"What? But I'm not a vampire." Bella said.

"You don't have to be a vampire to have a gift, Bella, they're not that special. You must be a shield, that's probably why they wanted to make a vampire so badly. You would be an incredible leverage for them." I said.

"That's why Aro wanted me to be a vampire so he could have me join his guards." Bella said.

"The Cullens must not have noticed that you're gifted but Aro does. Which is why I know he may not give up on you just yet." I said.

"Do you really think they'll come after me?" Bella asked.

"I'm not sure but don't worry, they will never get you." I answered.

"Yeah, we'll protect you, Bella, you're family and pack now." Jacob said.

"Mom where's Bree?" Chaska asked.

"She's with your grandfather." I answered.

"You sent her to be with that insane man." Chaska asked.

"He's working on making her different." I replied.

"What do you mean different?" Billy asked.

"He's making a new form of vampirism." I answered.

"Is that possible?" Bella asked.

"Yes, he is a god." I replied.

"If it does work...do you think he could do it for the Cullens?" Bella asked.

"I don't know why you care so much for them." Jacob said.

"Because they were like a real family for me." Bella said.

I smiled as I knew how she felt about her upbringing and why the Cullens were important to her.

"I'll talk to my father." I said.

"Thank you." Bella said.

/——/

"Tiffany, when are you going to Charlie that Embry is his son?" I asked as Sue gasped.

"What? I don't know what you're talking about." Tiffany quickly answered.

"Tiffany do not lie to me." I said.

Tiffany sighed and started tearing up.

"I don't know why I kept a secret for so long but after my parents practically disowned me, I came here and I guess I was afraid the same thing would happen again so I kept quiet and let everyone make those rumors." Tiffany said.

"Oh Tiffany, you should have at least told the council." Sue said as we both reach over and hugged Tiffany.

"I know I just didn't know how to." Tiffany said.

"But it doesn't explain how Embry was able to phase." Sue said.

"It's very obvious how Embry was able to phase, Sue, both of his parents have the gene." I said.

"What do you mean? Charlie doesn't have the gene, Hehewuti." Sue said.

"Yes, he does, Charlie's great—great—great grandfather was Quileute and there were a few Quileute that left to go live on the Makah reservation. Though, the gene never activated in Charlie because there wasn't vampires around when he was young so no one never knew about Charlie's real connection to the tribe." I said.

"How do you know all of this?" Tiffany asked.

"I'm a goddess, when I need information it's easy for me to find out from the keeper of ancestral line." I answered.

"Anyway, when did you and Charlie get together?" Sue asked.

"We got together a couple times after he and Renée divorced." Tiffany answered.

"I remember how inseparable you two were when we were younger." Sure said.

"Yeah until Hehewuti left and Renée showed up." Tiffany said.

"Renée, I met her at the wedding and she doesn't seem like Charlie's type." I said.

"That's because she isn't his type." Tiffany said.

"Harry really doesn't like at her." Sue said.

"Harry doesn't like anyone who can't cook." I said, causing Tiffany and Sue to laugh.

"That is true." Sue said.

"I'm going to tell Charlie and Embry." Tiffany said.

"Make sure you do it when they're both eating." Sue said.

"Definitely a good idea." I said.

/——/

"Do you like the new me?" Bree asked as we all sat down for dinner

"Is it weird that we're all watching her eat?" Jacob asked as he stared at Bree eating spaghetti.

"I just can't believe it." Chaska answered.

"What has my father done to you?" I asked.

"He said something about making me more human but with vampire qualities like I can walk in the sun with the whole sparkling thing, I can eat, sleep, and he's going to teach me to kick all of your asses and told me to call him grandpa." Bree answered.

"Hehewuti are you sure he will do the same for the Cullens?" Bella asked.

"Bella, are you doing this to keep them around?" Billy asked.

"That's part of the reason." Bella answered.

"You don't have to explain to us, Bella, we support whatever your reasons are." Jacob said.

"Speak for yourself." Chaska said.

"Is this really homemade spaghetti sauce cause it tastes like Ragu." Bree said, causing us to laugh at Billy's hurt facial expression.

"I have you know this recipe has been in our family for years." Billy said.

"It's store brought spaghetti sauce." Jacob said.

"The best store spaghetti sauce you'll ever have." Billy said.

We all laughed.