eight ✰ "be your own writer"

the weather was warm

the weather was warm. not too hot but not too cold. it was the definition of perfection.

under a tree covered in orange leaves sat scarlett, her journal open in her lap. she was writing fast and sloppily, but she didn't care. the beautiful fall weather had gifted her with inspiration.

scarlett's journal was sacred to her, its contents confidential. scarlett's deepest thoughts and secret poems lied within it.

as her pen danced along the white paper, scarlett's body began to fill with a feeling that could be described as static. the feeling of warmth and joy. she adored the feeling. it was comforting.

scarlett was so engrossed in her writing world that she didn't notice the human figure hovering over her. the sound of a throat clearing startled scarlett. she looked up to see a grinning neil perry.

"neil! you scared me half to death!"

still grinning, neil sat next to scarlett on the leaf covered grass. "damn, i was aiming for you to die of a heart attack."

scarlett rolled her eyes as she playfully shoved neil's shoulder.

"did rory tell you about the dead poets society reformation yet?"

"yes, she did. i am in." she said with a smile. "it sounds like fun."

"so what are you writing there?" neil glanced down at the journal that now laid on the grass.

"oh, it's nothing. just a poem is all."

neil's eyes widened. "a poem? care to read it to me?"

scarlett let out a sigh. "fine, i'll read it to you but you need to promise you will not judge, okay?"

neil raised his right hand as he muttered an "i swear".

with a shaky breath, scarlett opened her journal and began to read the poem she was working on: "sometimes my mind is my enemy. sometimes my mind is my friend. in the midst of harmonizing thought and spirituality, i was frequently taught that a mind you have to tame with positivity in order for it to be a gem." she closed the book and looked at neil, nervously biting her lip. "what do you think?"

neil sat there quiet, his face unreadable. "i thought it was beautiful, scarlett."

scarlett's cheeks began to feel hot. "really? you aren't just saying that?"

"i am serious, scarlett." neil rested a hand on her forearm. "you have a talent for writing lovely poems. you should read another one of your poems at one of the meetings!"

scarlett was quick to shake her head.

"no, i couldn't possibly read my poems. i have never shared them with anyone. not parker, not even my dad, neil! you are the first person i have ever read one to."

neil smiled. "i am honored that you shared it with me, scar."

"for as long as i remember, i've always wanted to write. whether it was novels, poems, hell, even songs, i just knew writing was what i wanted to do." scarlett eyes shined as she spoke about her passions. "what about you, neil? what do you want to be?"