twelve ✰ "the course of true love never did run smooth."

scarlett felt lost in the concept of love

she didn't know if what she was feeling was real or just a figment of her imagination.

lying on her bed, scarlett was alone with her thoughts, the sound of the doors flooding softly throughout the room. rory was off with charlie and parker was studying with knox, meeks, and pitts.

for the first time in history, scarlett didn't know what to do. should she confess or should she swallow her feelings and never let them see the light of day? scarlett let out a sigh as she sat up. the young keating desperately needed guidance. she knew she could talk to rory or parker, but romantic feelings are just as foreign to them as they are to scarlett.

there was only one person who could help ease scarlett's distress.

after knocking on the door, scarlett nervously played with the moonstone ring that lied on her left pointer finger. the simple moonstone ring meant so much to her. it was a gift from her mother and father on her thirteenth birthday.

the door opened to reveal her father, john. upon seeing his daughter, a smile grew on his face.

"scarlett, darling, come in!" he opened the door wider as scarlett walked in. scarlett smiled as she looked around her father's room. it was an unorganized mess but that didn't seem to bother john. he always worked well in a messy room, navigating through the piles of books and loose papers like a pro. "would you like some tea?" scarlett nodded as she moved some books that sat on a chair, smiling at the framed picture of her mother that sat on his desk.

"have you been reading shakespeare again?" scarlett asked as she picked up a beat up copy of "romeo and juliet", which was one of her favorite plays. john grinned as he handed scarlett a cup of tea.

"future lessons." john said as he sat down in his desk chair, ushering for scarlett to sit down as well. "now, what did you need?"

scarlett's jaw dropped a little. "what makes you think i need something? couldn't a daughter visit her dearest father?"

john grinned. "i always enjoy seeing you, scarlett. in and out of class. but i know when my child has something on her mind."

scarlett bit her lip. her father knew her all too well. "dad, i am confused."

"about what?"

"everything. life. neil perry." she said quickly, hoping her father wouldn't notice.

"what about mr. perry confuses you?"

scarlett sighed as she gently massaged her temples. "i think i am falling for him, dad."

john smiled. "i've noticed, scar. the two of you seem pretty infatuated with each other."

scarlett's face began to turn red. "is it that obvious?"