seventeen ✰ "littering is a crime"

writing poetry was a challenge for parker

for the past hour, parker was hunched over her notebook. crumpled pieces of paper with her rejected thoughts littered the table. she let out a groan as she ripped out yet another poem that didn't satisfy her. she threw it across the room and let her head fall onto her notebook.

knox, who had been checking out some random books. saw parker from across the library. he smiled at the distressed girl as he made his way over to her table.

"you know, littering is a crime." knox's voice startled parker, as she quickly lifted her head up from the table.

she grinned when she saw who had startled her. "oh, knoxious, you startled me!"

knox chuckled as he pulled out a chair that was in front of parker. "so why are you throwing paper around?" he held up one of the crumpled balls of paper. parker reached over and took it out of his hand.

"rejected poems." parker sighed. "none of them are good enough."

"you're overworking your brain. take a break!" knox suggested. "let's go have some fun."

parker hesitated. she needed to get her poem done, but she liked spending time with knox.

"what did you have in mind?"

parker and knox walked side by side throughout the hallways, talking about random things.

"you really would go to jail for five years instead of being stuck in a room with cameron for a day." parker laughed.

"yes! you've met cameron. either way i am going to suffer." knox stated.

"good point."

the two continued to walk until knox stopped in his tracks.

parker looked up at knox in confusion. "why'd you stop?"

knox pointed down the hall. parker looked to where he was pointing. her heart sank to her stomach.

there he stood. a person parker hadn't heard from in months.

everett mitchell. the boy who broke parker's heart into little pieces.

he sent parker a weak smile, while the girl stood still, her face blank.

"hey, parker."

parker opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. she was too shocked to speak.

"what are you doing here?" knox spoke for parker, his voice dripped with venomous anger.

"i just wanted to talk to parker for a moment." everett mumbled.

"what if she doesn't want to speak to you? she did say she never wanted to see you again." knox growled as he stepped closer to everett. "i think it would be best if you left."

parker bit her lip, looking down at her shoes.

"could i just talk to her for a few minutes, man?" everett pleaded.

"knox," parker whispered as she placed a hand on his arm. "it wouldn't hurt to talk for a few minutes." knox looked down at the girl, his face softening.

"are you sure?"

she nodded.

"fine. i'll be right outside." knox said as he sent a glare towards. he stepped outside of the school building, leaving everett and parker alone.

"why are you here, everett?" parker asked.

"i am so sorry for everything." everett sighed. "i shouldn't have done what i did. you are such an amazing girl and i fucked everything up."

"i know you are sorry." parker said. "and honestly, i don't care anymore. what you did was horrible. it hurt like hell."

"i know, parker, but listen, i promise it won't happen ever again." everett pleaded. "i was wondering if you would possibly give me a second chance."

parker couldn't help but laugh.

"are you being serious?"

everett nodded.

parker straightened up, clearing her throat. "i would never consider giving you a second chance. you broke my heart!"

everett was stunned by her words. "i told you i was sorry."

"sorry isn't going to cut it." parker hissed. "but, i should thank you."

"why?"

"because if it weren't for you, i would never have become as good as friends with knox as i am now."

everett looked down at his feet and sighed. "i guess i'll be going then. goodbye parker."

"bye, everett."

as everett was leaving the school, knox was quick to send him one last glare.

he walked back inside to see parker leaning against the wall.

"what'd he want?" knox asked.

"oh, you know, just trying to win me back is all." parker looked down at her fingers, not seeing the look of sadness flash across knox's face.

"did he succeed?"

"hell no!" parker smiled as she looked back up at knox. "luckily for me, it gave me an idea for a poem for keating's class."

"do i get to know what it is?"

she shook her head. "you'll have to wait until tomorrow, overstreet." parker began to walk off towards her dorm.

"you suck, mccallister!" 

author's note:

another update in one day? shocking.