CHAPTER ONE

Karmah

Waking up in the morning is hard for me. Regardless of what it's for or who it's for, it's a struggle. Every. Single. Day. Today was no different and I'm sure tomorrow won't be any different. Waking up from the sound of my alarm blaring, I lay in my bed for a couple of moments before falling back asleep. The second alarm I set for occasions like this had me rolling out of bed to get ready for work. All though it stopped me from sleeping in longer, it did not stop me from stumbling to my closet like a drunk woman on Friday. I get my clothes out and head to the bathroom to take a shower and complete my hygiene.

After I finish in the bathroom I make toast and eat it on the way to my car

After I finish in the bathroom I make toast and eat it on the way to my car. I finish my breakfast in the car as I drive to work. I love the people I work with- my best friend since pre-k, Malachi, and an intern who decided she wanted the secretary job, Melany, she's a sweet girl- but on this particular morning, I just don't feel like dealing with humans until my first client arrives. As I leave my car I look to see if either of their cars are there. When I don't see them I make my way to the door of my hair salon and unlock it. I quickly headed to the back where my office was and shut the door knowing that if I was first they weren't too far behind. I sat down for a few seconds after setting my stuff down. I don't want to deal with people today but I have to and that's okay because it's what I signed myself up for when I decided to own a hair salon. I turn the speakers on and start playing music while I get the salon ready for clients. "Hey Karmah," Melany says startling me out of my trance-like state as I cleaned. "Hey Melany," I respond once my heart settles down.

I sit in my seat and wait for my client to come in even though all I wanted to do was go into my office and lock the door, but I didn't want to appear rude so I threw that option out of the window. "So have you given much thought about that invitation you received," she inquired. A month ago an envelope was slid into the salon p.o. box. While ordinarily, that isn't such a big deal, as we get random invitations and letters all the time, this time it was disparate due to it being an invitation to the biggest party for major business owners, lawyers, and even sometimes celebrities. The party is thrown for you to gain more exposure from other companies and even create better networking. It also only happens once a year. "I have and I've decided to go. This is an amazing opportunity for me to get my other business ideas out there and even gain good connections from it. I love the idea of meeting all these other business owners, while I'm there I can even get tips on how to run my businesses. Are you going to be able to come?" I ask her. "No, not this time," she replies dejectedly. "Why not?" I ask her. "I have to babysit my mom's friend's kids," she says. Melany has a babysitting gig on the side of working for me, since she only works for a few hours a day she uses that spare time to gain money from doing something she loves.

"I'm sorry you can't go this time," I say sincerely. "It's okay I'll make it to the next one" and with that, she smiles. The door chimes and Malachi walks in. "Hey guys," he says and hugs us.

"Hey Malachi," I say as he sets his stuff down at his station. "You know I hate my name babe," he says to Melany her breakfast. "I know but I don't care," I say laughing. We start talking about the party and make plans on where we're getting ready, who's driving, and the whole nine yards. The door chimes again, this time it was my client.

.
.
.
.

~(rewritten)
How are y'all?
The chapters will get longer.