CHAPTER TWO

Karmah

Since the party is today, I closed down the shop for the day to avoid the hassle of rushing around to get ready. I am insanely tired even though I went to bed pretty early so I wouldn't have bags under my eyes. I shower since I know I won't have time for it later. Malachi is coming over to get ready here too. The party starts at 6 and it's only noon so when he gets here we're gonna go eat.

I hear knocking at the door and grab my purse knowing who it is. "Hey Karmah, I found this cute little diner not too far from here for us to eat at," I immediately hear as I start opening the door. "Hi Mal, I think I know what you're talking about." I lock the door and we start heading down the stairs to my car. Malachi prefers when I drive because he says my car has the best vibes. His words, not mine. I let him hook his phone up to Bluetooth so we can listen to whatever it is he wants to listen to. We pretty much have the same music taste but mine is a bit more diverse.

He gives me the directions to the diner and we jam until we get there. I like driving around with Malachi because he doesn't mind when I want a quiet drive. He also is amazing to talk to and adding on the years of us knowing one another he's like the sibling I never had. We pull up to the diner and the parking lot was a little packed. "I hope they aren't understaffed staffed here. I'm really hungry" he says putting his mask on. I hum in agreement my stomach feeling as empty as a balloon.

We get seated at a window seat and I love that. I love to people watch and this was the perfect location to do so. "Hey guys, welcome to Tom's Diner. What can I get you," startled by the waitress's sudden appearance I jumped. Sometimes when I people watch I tend to get carried away and go off into my little world. I look around and realize Mal and the waitress- whose name tag read Lily- were both looking at me. Feeling a little embarrassed I blush and let out an awkward laugh while telling her what I want.

She apologizes for scaring me but I make sure she knows that it was not her fault. When she leaves Mal looks at me and starts laughing. "That was the funniest thing I've seen this week," he says trying to keep his laughter down. "Shut the fuck up. You could've warned me or something now she probably thinks I'm an idiot," I say covering my face due to my blush not dying down. His laughter dies down and we start talking about who we think will be at the party later on.

I see a car pull up so I look out the window all the while maintaining a conversation with Malachi. I see this fine man getting out of his car. He was tall but honestly, everyone who is taller than me is tall to me. He has blonde dreads with a few blue-grey dreads mixed in, beautiful brown eyes, and big soft looking pink lips. He was so handsome I couldn't take my eyes off of him. He looked insanely familiar but I could not place my finger on it.

I didn't realize I was staring until he looked at me in the window and smiled. My eyes widened and I rush to look at Malachi in front of me. I refused to look out of that window again until he was inside and I could make sure I don't look like I'm stalking him or something. When I finally decide to look away from Malachi and around the dinner I see the man with dreads but he was with a girl.

How did I not notice her beside him outside?
Maybe because you were too busy eye fucking him.

As if he felt my gaze he turns his head to look at me but I quickly look away. I refuse to let him catch me staring at him again. The waitress brings our check, we pay and then leave. I always make sure to leave at least a twenty-five percent tip because food service workers deserve it with the stuff they go through. We decided to go to the mall and get our last-minute items for the party tonight. As we walk around I see a dress on display it was gorgeous.

Now don't get me wrong I already have a dress but this one tops that dress. I pull Mal into the store and ask to see the dress. After trying it on and adoring it, I buy it. We walk around for a few more hours buying things here and there and then we leave. When we get back to my apartment it's 3 in the afternoon. We have to kind of rush if we want to get there on time but we're both bad at rushing so I know we'll be late.