CHAPTER FIVE

Karmah

When I wake up the next morning I grab my phone to see if I have any messages. I see that I have one from Gabriel.
.
.
Good morning Angel

Good morning Gabe

Did you sleep well?

Yes. I slept wonderfully.  How about you?

I slept well because my dreams were of you.

You're just saying that

No, I'm not. I'm serious. What are you doing today?

I was going to go to the mall and then the shelter.

Oh. Why are you going to the shelter?

Well, I get lonely sometimes so I thought buying a dog or something would make me feel better.

Aw, angel. Would you mind if I came with you today?

Of course not. Are you okay with me driving?

Yeah of course you can drive. Do you want me to come to your house or you come to mine?

Uhmm... You can come here

Okay. See you later

Okay bye.

I send him my address and decide on an outfit. I chose army green cargo pants, a long-sleeved black shirt, and my black converse.

I hope in the shower and then brush my teeth

I hope in the shower and then brush my teeth. When I start to get dressed my phone rings. "Hello," I say not checking the caller ID.

"What are you doing today?" Mal asks in a rush. "Well good morning to you too Mally," I say propping my phone up so I can get dressed. "Girl answer me," he says and I can tell something is bothering him. "Sheesh. I was going to hang out with Gabe today," I say a little perturbed. "Well umm... I feel like you should know that your stepmom came to my house looking for you" he says. I pause in the middle of putting the finishing touches on my outfit. "What. What did she need," I asked wearily. "She was looking for you obviously and started talking about how you were "famous" and stuff.  Then she said that she needed money. I didn't tell her where you lived but I gave her your number so she would leave me alone. I'm so sorry," he says and I can hear his voice start to wobble. I sit on my bed lacing up my shoes. "Well she's not getting a dime or penny of my money and it's okay I don't mind," I say grabbing my purse.

"Girl I know that and she doesn't deserve it after everything...none of them do," he says. I sit on the couch, waiting for Gabe to come. " I know she probably needs it for Brittany or Courtney," I say rolling my eyes.

"Oh well. She probably saw you living your best life. I mean you're a damn well-known businesswoman for fucks sake," he says emphasizing well-known.

"I know that's why she coming to me on some bullshit," I say. The doorbell rings and I say bye to Mal and hang up. I open the door and see Gabe looking as handsome as ever. "Wow. You look beautiful," he says smiling at me.

"Thank you. You look handsome as well," I say nonchalantly. He chuckles at me. "Are you ready to go?" he asks. "Oh yeah. Let me grab my keys. You can come in I'll only be a second." I say. I grab his hand and lead him inside. When our hands touched it was like sparks danced across our skin.

I looked up at him to see if he felt it too. Based on the way he's looking at our hands I'll say he did feel them. I let go of his hand to go to my room and get my keys. When I come back to the living room I see him looking around with a look of pride on his face. I shake my keys to gain his attention. "Are you ready to go?" I ask.

"Yeah. Let's go," he says and we leave. I make sure I lock the door. I lead him to the car and we get in. I decided to go to the mall first because well who has gone carry a dog through the mall? Not me, no sir. I turn on my car playlist and Foot Fungus by Ski Mask the Slump God and I start rapping all the lyrics.

Gabe looks at me smiling. "What," I ask. "Nothing your just beautiful," he says and I blush. "Hush," I say dragging it out. We pull into the mall parking lot and park in the closest space. We get out of the car and I lock the doors. We start walking and he puts his arm around me.

I look at it and blush. I put my arm around his waist and he smiles hard. "Where do you want to go first," he asks me when we get inside. "Uhm Victoria's Secret if you don't mind," I say craning my neck to look at him. "That's okay with me. Come on," he says.

After shopping for a little while we go to the food court and get some food. "Let's play 21 questions," he says. "Okay. You first," I say. "Hm. What's your favorite color," he says starting basic. "Black. What about you" I ask. "Red," he says. "When were you born," I ask. "April 4th, 1999," he says. "Oh, your 21," I say. "No. Not yet I turn in a couple of months," he says. "Oh wow. I'm 19," I say. He looks at me shocked.

"Really," he asks. "Yea," I say. "Wow so you started your business at a young age," he says astonished. "Yea I'm looking to expand as well," I say smiling. "Karmah," someone calls my name and I look around to see my stepmom walking our way. I haven't seen her in years.

Matter of fact I haven't seen anybody that lives in that house in years. When I left I didn't even care that I had no money or a place to stay. I wandered along the streets and found a cute little coffee shop that a middle-aged couple owned they gave me the job and let me stay above the shop.

I saved up money to get my apartment and then when I got it I saved money for my salon. I was proud of myself and I still am because I started from scratch and succeeded. "Word to freaking what," I say under my breath. "What is it," Gabriel asks.

"Someone that I don't want to deal with," I say just as she arrives at the table. "Karmah Amala Black. I know that you know I have been looking for you, " Stephanie, my stepmom, says.

I look up at her and roll my eyes. "Yea I know and so what," I say. "First off lose the attitude. I am your mother. I need some money so I can save up for Brittany's wedding," she says resting her hand on my shoulder.

I look at Gabriel to see him looking at me with a confused expression.

"Uhm no. You don't tell me what to do, I am a grown-ass woman. Two you aren't my mother never was and never will be. Lastly, Brittany isn't my sister. Fuck her wedding and you can suck my fat left nut because you aren't getting shit,"

I say flinging her hand off my shoulder. She raises her hand as if to hit me but then touches my hair. I yank away and then get up. Gabe gets up and grabs the bags.

"You should come to the wedding we'll send the invitations when we get enough money. I'll ignore your little outburst for now but you'll wish you wouldn't have done that," she says walking away.

I mentally count to 10 and breathe. "I'm sorry you had to see that and that I ruined lunch," I say to Gabe truly embarrassed.

He looks at me like I'm crazy. "Karmah, you don't need to apologize. Besides, she was the one that ruined lunch not you," he says putting the bags in one hand and grabbing mine with the other.

"Now do you want to keep shopping or do you want to leave," he asks. "Leave," I say. "Alright," he says. We leave the mall and while in the car decide to go ahead and go to the shelter.

(Rewritten)