Prologue

Protection against deception, and never allow others to read your emotions. And whoever stands before you, don't let them push you around. Remember that.

At least that was what the female detective of the Future Foundation had believed when growing up and now into adulthood. Standing upon a mountain of achievements when it came to her sense of justice. 

This woman was Kyoko Kirigiri; Ranked top agent in the detective agency centered in the supposed happy and quiet city of Hope’s Peak. 

In many cases, The way the detective agency selected the best of the best. Yet a darker side lies underneath the large crime stopping force.

The foundation collected orphaned children and gave them proper care and forced education. It wouldn't be simply called brainwashing. Just painting a blank canvas to ensure the future of the world would actually have a relaxed existence.

Kyoko simply did what she thought was right, Not walking in a parental figure's footsteps, a promise, Or anything to that nature. Solving crime felt like it was nothing more than what she was good at from the very start. 

The mindset of Kyoko was simple. All that mattered was justice even by her own hands.

While having a rough upbringing, The woman she was today and who she was proud of was all high standards. She had no taste in relationships or anything of the sort. 

In the tinted office of The Future Foundation sat two people, The leader of the organization and Kirigiri herself. 

Crossing her legs as she was dressed in Black dress pants, A lavender button up shirt with long sleeves and bronze cuffs. Ontop was a black blazer unbuttoned as a small glass of alcohol rested in her hands.

“I’d like to congratulate you on the capturing and rehabilitation of Genocider Syo.” He rasped, Putting a pinch of tobacco in a pipe and pressing it to his lips.

A puff of smoke filled the dim area as the scent reached Kirigiri’s Nostrils, Her nose crinkling in disgust as she bowed her head.

“Thank you sir, She seemed attracted to one of our workers here and we were able to work out a deal in the end.”

Kyoko gripped her shoulder in almost sheer awkwardness. Eyes turning away towards the bright city before them. 

She sipped the glass as she held a blank expression from the silence, Admiring the lights silently.

The male behind the desk then spoke up.

“As much as you’ve done, I’d like to request something from you.”

Kyoko raised a thin brow, Laying back and sipping the glass with a sigh.

“Yes?”

“Have you heard of the recent spike of midnight killings?” 

Kiri’s light colored eyes narrowed as she sat the glass down.

“Yes, I am aware.”

A soft sigh as another puff of smoke filled the dim room.

“If it’s not too much to-” The male was instantly interupted as Kyoko stood up.

“I’ll look into it personally, I don’t mind not having a break.”  She traced a finger along the table, Glancing at the city lights as a dullness lay beneath her eyes. Kirigiri had bags under her eyes yet was wide awake. How she functioned was a mystery to even the foundation.

“I was only suggesting this you know.” He sat down the pipe, leaning back in the Cherrywood frame chair.

“I’ll find who’s doing it, It doesn’t matter to me.” Kyoko muttered, eyes directed towards the floor, As tough and hard as she was. A part of her just wanted to leave and take time to herself, The other relished in the thought of working alone as it was the only real pleasure and satisfaction in her daily life.

“As you wish, But please do keep in mind that you can’t burden yourself with everything alone, Anymore interruptions and I’ll have to pair you with Detective Togami.”

She flinched, Heading for the door.

She hated detective Togami with a fiery passion, Rich snobs like him got under her skin. 

“Understood.” Kirigiri whispered, Unclenching a fist as she reached for the door handle.

Exiting the room, Kirigiri swiftly made her way through the halls, Ignoring any attempted conversion or person who crossed her gaze.

The woman was in no mood to talk, Let alone make plans with the bland people of the corporation itself. To everyone, She was nothing but a big shot and eye candy for any male. Which sickened her to her very core.

Finally reaching her destination, Kirigiri gripped the keys in her palm as she unlocked the car door with a sigh. Stepping a foot inside, She flipped on the lights and adjusted herself.

Kyoko rode home in silence, No music or even talking to herself.

Pulling into the small garage, Kirigiri left the car, shutting the door and quickly entering the house belonging to herself.

She lived alone, Obviously. 

Passing by the kitchen, She had the thought of making dinner cross her mind before shaking her head and deciding to work instead. 

Kirigiri slipped off her gloves with a sigh, examining her hands as she walked up the stairs towards her main office which took up the majority of the second floor itself.

Grasping the door handles gently, She pushed the dark grey doors out of her way to a completely pitch black room. Upon flicking the light, Her eyes met a large set of bookshelves and a curved desk covered in files, Papers and a few textbooks. 

An alcohol locker was stored in the very back, Locked tightly.

Her lavender eyes examined the desk as she undid her hair braids and hung her blazer up on the coat rack and sat down in the comfortable chair.

Kirigiri laid her head back, Eyes focused on the chandelier like object on the ceiling. She let out a short groan, The stench of tobacco while in that office had given her a headache. 

Sitting up, She grasped a folder from the drawer in her desk. Despite the boss requesting her assistance, She’d already looked into it.

In a matter of minutes, Several pictures were scattered across the desk along with papers containing information on the crime itself. They are the only thing missing? 

Just what in the hell was the point of these murders and who was doing it?

Examining a picture closely, Kirigiri sipped a cup of hot coffee, the sweetness itself had counteracted the burning of her tongue. Setting the hot cup on a nearby coaster, She picked up a pen and a notebook she kept on hand at almost all times. 

“Victim's name and identification is unverified due to the blunt force trauma to their head. The skull of this male is apparently crushed inwards by a metal pipe that was left on the scene.” She murmured to herself before picking up another picture.

“There were no fingerprints or any source of DNA on the pipe or the males body. Interesting…” She whispered, Writing out these details before closing the notebook, Hoping that the ink wouldn’t smear. 

Putting the pictures together, She inserted threads and thumbtacks onto them so they were connected before something caught her eye. In every frame was a single letter.

After what felt like an hour of examination and brainstorming, Kirigiri mumbled a single word. 

“Despair?”

Did the apparent murderer want to strike not only fear into people's hearts but despair as well? None of this made sense to the female detective but was glad she was easily connecting the dots.

Slowly and surely, No matter how much it took. Kirigiri would solve this case. Alone if she had to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Welcome to Soft spot, A twist on murder and affection in most modern Detective AU's. I welcome all Danganronpa fans because I've become a nerd for this game/show as well as the fandom.

Word count: 1,979