Chapter 8

It had been two days since the bank incident and Naegi’s first real interrogation. Despite it hurting him, He was slowly recovering and he couldn’t be happier he could soon be back to normal. Despite the scarred place in his stomach being a weak point for the brunette male.

The Naegi household was filled with chatter as the family gathered at the dinner table, Makoto's mother had prepared dinner, A feast like one at that due to him returning from his supposed business trip which was classified.

Of course this was a cover up for the detective and his recovery from the stab wound which he’d kept hidden.

The house was quite large, The dining room being its own place unlike his mother's loved kitchen. Naegi wanted to skip dinner and go to his room he had left untouched but knew it would be rude.

It had been a long time since he saw them face to face, It warmed his heart.

As Makoto’s hazel eyes wandered, He was in deep thought about the case itself and what to do next. None of his family were killers, That’s for sure. The sheer thought of possibly knowing the killer or the mastermind sent a chill up his spine.

He snapped to attention as his name was constantly called out.

“Your sister wants to say something, Pay attention to her Makoto.” His mom lightly scolded.

He chuckled nervously, Looking at his little sister with a small smile.

“Yes?” He asked.

His little sister smiled widely, Legs hanging on the edge of her chair. She was young, Almost in her last year of middle school.

Makoto lifted a spoonful of soup to his lips, Preparing to listen as he swallowed.

“I decided I want to be just like you when I grow up, I want to do what you do no matter what it takes!” She gave a giant grin.

Flashes of the time he’d gotten stabbed and the interrogation flashed through his mind, He saw when he and Kyoko first argued when a random citizen died on TV.

He dropped his spoon, Eyes widening with fear and covering his mouth as he watched the piece of silverware hit the table and fall to the floor.

His stomach churned, He felt like he was going to get sick.

Just imagining his own sibling going through what he’s had to do made him sick to his very core. His mind couldn’t handle it, He was panicking. His eyes were brimming with tears as he swallowed hard.

That’s right, He just couldn’t take his medications in front of his family, Not even Kyoko.

His head was spinning completely, He wanted to curl up and die.

“Th-that’s an amazing goal sis, I’m fighting crime from the shadows and stuff. You’d love it.”

The stars in her eyes were large as she giggled, Not understanding what he’d just done or why.

A part of him was glad she was a slow learner.

Taking deep breaths in front of his concerned parents, Naegi kept his head lowered as he focused on the sound of the rain while his parents continued to eat. His sister excused herself happily, Skipping off to her room while leaving behind an unfinished plate.

Makoto sighed deeply, Leaning his forehead into his clasped hands.

“She’d hate it.” He whispered.

Meanwhile, His mother discarded what was left on Komaru’s plate and hearing the doorbell ring, The rain was quite hard at this time making Makoto paranoid. So much he reached for the now hidden gun he’d kept with him at all times.