Chapter 12: The Night Out

Update (01/09/22): Correction on Jasper's age. The same change was also made in chapter 14, 23 & 30. Minor sentence changes and slight add-ins as well.

Update v.2 (04/14/23): Grammatical errors corrected. Slight sentence changes. A few complete sentence changes towards end of the chapter.

New "acronyms" used in this chapter.

(Ym/fn) = your mom's first name
(Ym/ln) = your mom's last name

       "So...what place did you have in mind to eat at, Mom? It's still pretty early."

       "What time is it?" your mother asked as she leads the way through the parking lot to her car. You pulled your phone from your hoodie pocket, clicking the power button on the side.

       "Twelve-eleven," you answered, putting your phone back into your pocket. Your mom hummed, tapping her chin.

       "How about Hard Rock? They have some really good food and drinks." Jasper chuckled beside you. You looked at her with a raised eyebrow, smirking slightly.

       "What's so funny?" you asked, but she just simply shook her head. You shrugged, turning to face your mother's back again. "Anyway, I don't think I've ever been there before, Ma." Your mother pulled her keys from her purse, clicking a button to unlock the car doors.

       "Yeah, I don't think your dad and I ever took you there. The setting is kind of...edgy? It's a loud area with a lot of people, and you didn't really like loud noises or crowded areas as a child," she answered, opening the driver's side to press the button to open the trunk. She then came back around the car to put a couple of shopping bags she had in hand in the trunk while Jasper put the rest in for her. You closed the trunk down, laughing.

       "Oh, yeah? I know someone else who doesn't like loud, sudden noises." Jasper glared at you.

       "Oh? Who?" your mom questioned, opening the passenger door behind hers for Jasper. The gem gave you a menacing look as if daring you to answer her question. You grinned, walking around the car to take the front seat like before.

       "I wouldn't want to embarrass them," you replied, closing your door and buckling your seatbelt. Jasper huffed, getting into the car next. She slid to the middle seat, spreading her legs, the divider in the floor between her ankles. Your mom got into the car last, looking at you and Jasper to make sure you were buckled in.

       "Jasper, put your seatbelt on, sweetheart," your mom said, adjusting the rearview mirror. Jasper looked at you, a confused expression adorning her face. You tapped your seatbelt, and she nodded after looking it over. Your mom started the car, pulling out of the parking space a moment later, the click of Jasper's seatbelt fastening loudly.

       "Where even is this restaurant?" you asked, leaning against your window.

       "It's about twenty minutes from here, but it is definitely worth the drive."

       "It better be," you said in a joking manner. Your mother laughed, getting onto the highway.

       "Oh, trust me, it will. If Jasper enjoys herself, then you have no choice but to say the restaurant was worth it."

       "Jasper will enjoy anything involving you, Mom," you said, looking at the gem in the rearview mirror. She had an angry expression, but her face was tinted scarlet.

       "Ohh," your mom, said giggling, using her right hand to cover her mouth as she smiled widely. "Well, I'm very flattered, Jasper..." Jasper's face darkened, and you giggled, resting your head against the cool window again.