Chapter 17: The Cave

Update (6/3/21): Minor sentence changes and grammatical errors were fixed.

Update v.2 (6/4/23): Minor sentence changes, sentence addition, grammatical errors fixed.

Mini A/NThis is kiiinda sorta another filler. I honestly feel like the more chapters I'm writing, the worse they're getting 😭 but enjoy this chapter nonetheless.

        You breathed in through your nose and out through your mouth. Your heart was pumping quickly, the organ beating against your ribcage. Sweat painted your body, making your tights and sports bra stick to you. Your (h/c) hair was stuck to the back of your neck. Your headphone wires swayed from your movement, your phone tucked away safely in the pocket of your tights. Music blasted in your ears as you ran along the sidewalks of Beach City. Your feet hit the ground one after the other, your arms pumping to give you more speed. It was early Sunday morning, and this run was the end session of your biweekly training with Mr. Smiley. He wanted to work on speed today, so the beginning half consisted of a few minutes of quick jabs and dodging, the ladder shuffle, and a brief clock drill. After that, he wanted you to jump rope for ten minutes and then challenged you to run through the entire city in fifteen minutes or less. You started at a light jog and were now more to a normal-paced run. You were coming up to Greg's car wash for the second time and pulled out your phone, checking the time. 7:36 AM. You smirked, knowing that you were going to make it. The road from the car wash to Funland Arcade was straight, the only turn being to get back onto the boardwalk. Four minutes. You inhaled through your nose deeply, forcing your legs to move faster as you ran down the straight, deserted road. You were breathing quickly, your eyes focused on the end of the road—your destination. Your calves and thighs were burning, but you endured the pain, assuring yourself that you would be grateful in the long run. You turned the corner quickly, smiling, when you saw the Arcade and Mr. Smiley standing in front of it. You slowed your pace until you stopped directly in front of him, falling to your hands and knees. Mr. Smiley chuckled, patting your shoulder. "Fifteen minutes and forty-seven seconds," he said proudly, the sound of his timer beeping filling the air around you. Your breathing was ragged, and sweat dripped down your nose as you chuckled, your shoulders shaking.

       "I could have done better," you said, bending your leg, using your knee as leverage to stand. Mr. Smiley grinned at you, walking back into the establishment.

       "I like your determination, girl. Keep it up, and you just might be able to beat me in the ring," he said with a chuckle. You laughed lightly, following him to the back. You pulled your water bottle from your bag, gulping it down in seconds. You exhaled, pulling the bottle from your mouth, and wiping your forehead.

       "I could take you on any day, old man," you said cockily, walking up to him. He raised an eyebrow at you, his once friendly smile becoming slightly creepy.

       "Do you want to go right now?" You laughed, throwing your arm over his shoulders.

       "Nah, I'm completely out of gas. I need to throw up, eat, and then lay down." Mr. Smiley gave a throaty and genuine laugh, patting your stomach.

       "Well, go and eat. We're done for the day anyway." You nodded, smiling at the older man.

       "See you later this week, Mr. Smiley!" He waved you off, leaving out of the door that led back into the arcade. You gathered your things, deciding to take a shower at the house. You walked out of the same door Mr. Smiley did, waving to him as you began your trek back down the boardwalk. Your legs felt like jelly, and your stomach was tight from hunger. Maybe I should make some pasta...that'll fill me up quick. You hummed to yourself, your feet touching the sand of the beach. You walked up to your porch, grabbing your keys from your bag to unlock the front door. Darkness shrouded the living room since the curtains were closed. You had to keep them shut from now on, even the ones upstairs, just to be safe. You shut the door behind you, put your keys on the hook, and throw your bag onto the sofa. You made your way upstairs, pushing your room door open. Storm lifted her head from her bed where she was resting, closing her eyes again once she saw it was you. You chuckled quietly, sitting on the edge of your bed to take your shoes off. "Still upset with me, huh?" you said to the small feline, walking over to put your shoes into the closet. You kneeled down to pet Storm's head gently, but she turned away from you, flicking her tail. You sighed, standing up. She was a little peeved at you from what happened yesterday when you took her to the vet. She had to get a shot to protect her from fleas and ticks, the other two being vaccinations. While you were already out yesterday, you stopped by a nearby shopping mall to get a few more outfits for Jasper. Even the repairmen came to fix the two ruined walls. To say the least, yesterday was a pretty busy day.