Chapter-5

Light was streaming through the chink of the curtained window and was illuminating every nook and cranny of the room which was once filled with the cherished hopes of a simple pragmatic yet dreaming girl. The room which told stories of a girl's happy childhood was now filled with the gloomy dread of it's insecure owner who was presently shifting in her sleep irritated with the sun interrupting her apparently peaceful sleep. A long alarm resonated in the silent room jerking the girl awake.

"Oh no it's already eight. What's this Saumya? You should wake up early right. You really sleep like a log." Saumya tried to reproach herself the way her mom used to scold her.

She would never have admitted until a few years ago how much she missed her mom's scoldings. Her mom was the only person in the whole world who could comprehend her unsaid pleas and inarticulate musings. She had always been an overachiever but still she was always a nervous wreck before exams. "Oh God Saumya you are always the valedictorian still you're nervous. Drop the act please," was how everyone responded. But her mom had invariably understood her state. Her mom was the best gift in her life. Even now she used to thank God for giving her a lovely family.

Snap out of it Saumya. Don't hang onto your past. They will always be a part of you but whenever you remember them always smile because they made your life a heavenly bliss. Why should you cry when you are happy, satisfied and grateful to them? Now put your limbs into action and get up. With this half-hearted plea Saumya got up.

Presently she had done her mundane tasks and was preparing for herself a cup of coffee. Glancing at the clock in the living room she noticed that it was already half past nine.

After sipping slowly and savouring each sip of the frothy coffee she went in Pia's room to wake her up.

"Pia wake up," Saumya shouted for the millionth time. Sometimes she wondered from whom Pia had inherited such a habit since everyone in her family was an early riser.

With a frown, Pia got up but her expression soon changed. She gulped the saliva many times and with a painful expression said, "My throat is aching Princess."

Saumya rested the back of her palm on Pia's forehead only to find that she had a slightly high temperature. After counting her pulse, Saumya dashed to her room and retrieved from one of it's drawers a box with medicines. Guess we have perks of having a doctor at home.

After handing Pia a paracetamol Saumya began her exhortation, "Now you understand, Pia, that you should eat food in a limited amount. How many scoops of ice cream did you have in the past few days? A million, I suppose. Now nothing doing you have to eat porridge for the entire day."

"Okay mommy," Pia mocked.

With a glare adorning her countenance Saumya snapped, "Definitely granny. You can't get away with being sarcastic. I wonder how can a baby like you be so sarcastic?"

With fuming face and a pout Pia refuted, "I am not a baby."

"You won't be if you behave like a responsible big girl. And let me tell you big girls are never sarcastic."

"But you just passed a sarcastic comment and you are definitely a big girl."

"Don't argue with me. I am the elder one and I get to make the rules here."

Pouting, Pia said, "That's so unfair."

"Don't make a piggy face. It doesn't suit you. We shall see when you're as old as me." Saying this Saumya burst out laughing.

"Now get some rest. I will call Surbhi to let her know that I can't go shopping with her."

"Oh Princess, please go shopping. I know I can't but I want you to buy so many books for me. Please go. Please."