Chapter-16

"Di where are you going?"

Hearing her sister's voice, Saumya turned around.

"I am going to the hospital," she replied, exasperated.

"But why Di?"

"I told you Esha. It's an emergency."

"But Di it's already 10 at night. How are you planning to go. It's unsafe to go alone."

Rolling her eyes, Saumya said, "It's not the first time I am going late at night. Moreover, girls are not weak. Remember, we learned Tae- Kwon- Do in school."

"But..."

"I am hearing no more of it. I will lock the house and take the spare key. You sleep in your room."

With a flaring nose and frowning face, Esha stared as her sister turned around and locked the door.

"Hello... Are you ready?" she whispered into her phone.

"Aye aye Captain," a deep masculine voice replied from the other side.

-----------------------

"Saumya, where are you going all alone?" She could very well recognise the voice just about anywhere. However, this was unusual. She was in the garden of her own home. How was it possible?

"Chachu," she whined, "I am going to the hospital. I have a night shift. I can go alone. I lived alone in the UK."

"You are not going alone anywhere. Wait, I will drop you."

"But..."

Raising his hand, he continued, "Call me when your shift is over."

Rolling her eyes, Saumya mumbled, "I am not a baby."

"Did you say anything?" Chachu asked while glaring.

A gush of wind swept her hair on her shoulder sideways. A sad sigh escaped her lips. A sad longing tugged at her heart. Standing in front of her home's door, she was chiding her heart for being so miserable. Leaving every feeling behind, she started walking towards her car.

"Hey, Saumya, where are you going?" Akshit's voice made her look around.

Standing on the street, he was waving at her. It had been three days since they had talked. Even during dinner each day, Akshit was busy answering Esha's questions.

She shouted, "Hospital. There's an emergency."

"I will drop you," he proposed.

"It's alright. Don't fret about it. I'll go."

Somehow her heart fluttered at his proposal. She had, however, grown used to controlling her temptations. Decorum wouldn't permit this.

"Oh please, I can always help a friend."

Her heart skipped a beat. So he truly considered her as his friend.

Stop it, Saumya. You have never been like this- she mentally scolded herself.

"What if the friend is not in need of help?"

"To offend and to judge are distinct offices; and in their nature opposite," he said with his signature lopsided grin.

Huffing in defeat, she said, "Take my car."

"Okay and yeah call me when you're done," he said grinning.

The two sat in the car as the car zoomed out of the driveway.

A song was playing on the stereo. It was a soulful song.