Chapter-19.1

The sun kissed her face, gently pouring the rays of hope on her disdainful figure. Her room, which was illuminated by the sun rays, was the epitome of impeccable organisation. Towards the left was a queen size bed, adorned with lilac bed clothes. Adjacent to the bed was a dressing table with an intricately carved wooden frame. A study table rested in the far corner, stacked with books, with spines as broad as a box. Everything was painted in pastel colours which certainly weren't vibrant and lively.

Saumya was stirred into consciousness by the golden rays. Sighing she sat up on her bed, staring into the oblivion.

Another Tuesday. I just hope that boy's alright. He was so scared. Thankfully, nothing untoward happened. I will go and meet him first thing, as soon as I reach the hospital.

Involuntarily, her eyes landed on a photo of her and her parents, resting on her bedside table. It was the only photo of her parents. Gently picking it up, she stroked the faces of her parents.

Papa, Mummy, I miss you both. I am sorry. I am really sorry. I just wish I had realized sooner...

A fresh rivulet of tears streaked both her cheeks. With a wry smile, she said -

Papa, I know you always regretted not being there for me. I am so sorry... I love you and you should know that you were the best father I could have asked for.

Mummy, thanks for everything. I know it wasn't easy for you but you have always been so strong. I will try to be as strong as you. It's rubbing in, right? Your will power, I mean.

She winked at her Mom's picture.

I will always try to follow your advice. Love you both a lot.

Saying this, she kissed the photo and sat there staring at the happy faces. They had gone on a trip to Nainital. That was when they had clicked that photo as they sat in a boat. She was only 10 back then.

I just wish I had some more time to spend with you.

Catching her breath, she said -

I just don't want to make the same mistakes again. I don't...

Her voice cracked.

I know you want me to move on. I know you want me to be a bit less cynical but... Do you think Akshit's the right one? I know, I know, I should stop my sceptical thoughts but... I am scared. I am scared I will make the same errors. I will do what I did to you.

A new stream cascaded down her cheeks.

I... I will try, okay.

Now get up lazy procrastinator. It's time for your passion.

She smiled ruefully.

Your passion has always been the root cause of everything, hasn't it?

Getting up, she looked at herself in the mirror. The person who greeted her wasn't the care-free girl but a woman with a glow less face, dark circles and haggard eyes.

Touching her face gently, she murmured -

Is it really you Saumya?

Shrugging it off gingerly, she went to Pia's room.
————————————
It was already past noon as the two friends went for their lunch break.

"Hey don't you think Akshit is a coward?" Surbhi asked, as they sat eating hungrily their food in the cafe. Akshit had mysteriously disappeared and there wasn't any way they could guess the reason for it.

Frowning, Saumya said, "What makes you say that?"

"I mean, it's quite obvious that he likes you but he hasn't asked you out. Leave that, has he ever texted you? I really think he should man up," she whispered.

Shaking her head, Saumya said, "Why are you so hell bent on making me go out? What makes you think that Akshit likes me?"

"You mean you don't like him," she said, wiggling her eyebrows.

Saumya couldn't prevent her cheeks from tingeing pink.

"I don't like him. We're not college students. Will you stop this?"

"Whatever. Akash just texted me. His flight has landed. I'll go now. Take care, bye."

"Bye," Saumya said, as Surbhi got up.

Isolated in the bustling cafe, she was greeted by the familiar smell of chocolate cake. She looked up to find Akshit standing in front of her.

Wearing trousers, his tall frame looked well built. His muscles were hugged by the soft cotton shirt. His hair was unkempt as was the trend. A tie hung firmly around his neck. His brown eyes looked at her intently.

Why am I noticing all this?

"Hey, what's up?" she asked, smiling.

"All good. Uh do you want to try some?" he asked forwarding the cake.

"Thanks. Have a seat. It must be tiring."

"Tiring?" His face paled. "But I didn't bake the cake."

Smiling, she said, "I'm talking about the lectures. I know you can't cook."

With a sheepish grin, he said, "Oh."

Saumya brought the cup of frothy delight to her lips and took a sip. Almost instantaneously, her face contorted into a frown.

"What happened?" Akshit asked.

"Just the distasteful coffee."

"Oh yeah the coffee here is bland. If you..." his speech trailed.

With an encouraging smile, she said, "Go ahead."

She almost felt like... No that can't be it.

"If you want we can grab a coffee from a nearby cafe. It's just a safe haven for me, away from the dreadful coffee of this place, just a couple blocks away."

He was still unsure as to how he had gathered so much courage. He had expected himself to stutter at least once. Why did he have to be so nervous? He had never been so nervous in his entire life? Vivek was right. What have you done to me, Saumya?

-------------------------------

Hello Everyone!

I am back with an update. I hope you liked the chapter. What do you think about Saumya's talk with her parents? What about Akshit? So sorry for the cliffhanger guys.

And yeah if you like this book, please nominate this book in the Romance Category of the Rainbow Awards. It would mean the world to me. And if you ever want to talk to me, my instagram ID is caffeineaddict29.

Hope you all are doing good. Don't forget to vote and comment if you liked this chapter.

Love,
Mia