Chapter-21

Saturday was finally around the corner. The sun was relentless with the rays sweltering even the rocks which lay motionless on the ground. The hot loo was enough to make anyone stay at home but Saumya had no alternative. Esha and Pia were still sound asleep. As she went about doing her mundane chores, various thoughts assaulted her mind.

Why is Akshit being so helpful? Every time he says something sweet, something reassuring, why does my heart race like I am running in a marathon? Why am I unable to contain my emotions? I have never cried in front of anyone. How is he an exception? Have I really started liking him?

No it can't be- her mind argued.

But then why do I feel like I can trust him, that he will understand me and support me. Why? Why do I feel so comfortable, so contented when I'm with him?

That's because you have started liking him dummy-her heart chided.

How can I like him? I have always restrained myself. How can he suddenly come and change everything?

Remember mom's words- Man proposes, God disposes. As much as you would like to have everything under control, you simply can't. You're not God. Love is His power and only he decides upon its dispensations to mankind.

A blush crept up her cheeks as she clutched the edge of the kitchen slab tighter.

Is it really true? Have I really taken a liking to him? No, no it's not true. I should focus on Pia and my patients. Always remember Saumya, you don't want the past to become your present.

Thinking this, she busied herself in work. After successfully feeding two giant-sized kids, Pia and Esha, she made her way to the hospital.

It was quite a hectic day with numerous surgeries and appointments. She didn't even have the time to eat her lunch. The scorching sun rays had finally left the surface and it was growing dark outside. This meant that it was finally time for her to go home. All she wanted to do now was to go home and sleep but she knew those times had long gone.

She was walking on the concrete floor of the hospital's parking area. A bag was hung on her shoulder. The moonlight was the only exception to the dark scenario. However, it seemed quite peculiar to her that even in the darkness, her eyes were looking for Akshit. It had been long since they talked to each other.

Finally her eyes landed on the silhouette of a man she was sure was Akshit. She couldn't comprehend how or why but she knew it was Akshit. Standing there in front of his car, he was staring at his phone's screen, which was securely held in his hand.

She went towards him taking slow steps. As soon as she was behind him, she put a hand on his shoulder.

Why Saumya? You could have called out to him? Like his touch so much?

She immediately withdrew her hand just as he said, "Hi Saumya."

She stood there with her mouth agape. How did he know it was her? She was facing his back after all? Maybe the reflection in the car's mirror, she mused.

He turned around to face her with a heart-melting smile.

"Hi. Isn't it vacation already?" she asked.

"Yeah but I'm working on this research piece with a few interns so I decided it would be good if I came."

She didn't know if she felt disappointed. It was a far-fetched thought after all. Why would he come to meet her?

"Oh so how's it going?"

Smiling, he replied, "It's going great. Where is Surbhi, by the way?"

"Oh actually she has a night shift. She must be on her way here."