Epilogue

For the first time in life, I have finally realized that sometimes changes can be scary, well most of the times, but what is greater than that is the support that you get from your loved ones. All fears in life can be conquered if there are people who constantly remind you of your own strength and ability, who will not judge you despite the circumstances. I'm fortunate to have got so many lovely people in my life. I had been blinded, by my own sorrows and fears, that I failed to realize how they were always there to help me. Only I wasn't ready to accept their help.

I still can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that it has been three years since we got married. Four years since the first time I met Akshit. I won't say every day has been great. That's surely because not every day is the same but it's definitely not the worst, because Akshit makes sure it isn't. We do argue sometimes, not because of lack of understanding but because we care for each other. We know what the other wants but doesn't tell. There are sometimes when we don't share our worries with each other, afraid it would stress out the other. But that's when we actually realize what we mean to each other.

It's astounding as to how much has changed since then. Pia is finally in seventh grade  and laments about lack of time for games every now and then. Guess some things never change.

"Saumya, where are you lost?" Surbhi's voice brought me out of my reverie. She was having a hard time balancing the now three year old Kartik in her arms and fetching a glass of water. Aww he's such a cutie with those light brown eyes, courtesy of Surbhi and those little dimples. However, my attention turned back to Surbhi all over again. Her expression was sour as she dodged the kitchen island in an attempt to reach the water purifier.

"Nothing. Wait I'll get you water. You sit on the couch. Kartik seems a bit too tired today."

With a sulking expression, she spoke, "What was the need to go out and play with Pia for so long? Now it will be my arm you'll be nursing next. Whoever thought gym helps with toning your muscles is insane. Try holding a toddler for so long. Your arms would automatically give way."

Laughing, I replied, "Come on. What's with moms always scolding their kids? Let him have fun while he can." I now tried to navigate my way through the toy strewn floor to reach the living room while Surbhi stood beside me. The guys were busy discussing new developments in their research as they sat on the couch, their eyes glued to the macbook screen.

"Di, watch out!" Esha's exclamation brought me out of my thoughts. However, her warning seemed to be a bit too late as I skidded across the floor on Pia's skates. My breathing hitched. What if... No everything will be alright. Oh come on, you know it won't be alright. I involuntarily closed my eyes as if that could lessen the pain but Akshit seemed to have faster reflexes than me as his arms wrapped around me protectively. I opened my eyes to see him staring at me with concern etched across his features.

Aww he's so cute when he is worried. I hope that never changes. That he shall always remain this way. I couldn't help staring at his chocolate brown eyes when Surbhi's coughing brought us out of our reverie.

I surreptitiously glared at her as we straightened up. "Why are you always this clumsy?" Akshit questioned, his deep voice reverberating through the walls of my heart.

"Ask this question to your dear Little Princess. She is the one who left her skates in the living room. You are so lenient towards her. She is growing out of hand. She'll definitely get an earful from me and don't you dare stop me." I glared at him as he raised his arms in mock surrender.

"Why do you guys fight like middle aged uncles and aunts with the responsibility of their teen daughter's education and marriage on their head?" Pia spoke before falling into fits of laughter, Surbhi and Akash accompanying her. It was then that I realised that she returned from the backyard a couple of minutes ago.