Chapter-14

She was standing in the living room. The walls were covered by many photos, some of her parents, of her Chachu and Chachi and some of her as a child. There was a big telephone in one corner of the room. The sofa and furniture was old fashioned and by the mere guess, she knew it was her Papa's taste.

"Saumya, why are you standing there? Come and sit here. A new Ramayan show is being broadcasted. Let's watch it," her mom spoke up.

It was then that she noticed her entire family sitting on the couch, facing the LCD screen. Where is Pia? she wondered.

"Okay, Mom." Saying this, she went and sat beside her mom.

"Saumya, how was your MUN?" her Papa asked.

"It was great, Papa. I was the best spokesperson from Canada."

"Canada?" he said with a puzzled expression.

"I was the delegate from Canada."

Shaking his head, he said, "So, when are your board exams?"

"Papa," pouting she continued, "My exams are from February." Whining like a kid, she said, "Mummy, see no one lets me forget for even a minute that my exams are next month."

"Aww my baby," her mom said in her sweet voice, caressing her hair.

Jerking away, she said, "Mom, I am not a baby. I am already 16."

"You will always be my baby."

Rolling her eyes, she turned towards her Chachu.

"Chachu," she called.

"Hmm speak up my baby girl."

Sighing with frustration, she said, "I am not a baby. When will you all realise this?" With a dreamy smile, she said, "By the way, you know I have found a new book which I will read after my exams."

"Since you don't want to study, I suggest we should get you married two years later," her mom teased.

"Mom..." she whined.

Laughing she said, "Okay we will get you married at the age of 26. Happy?"

"Mummy, my studies won't be completed by then."

"My lovely girl, first give your exams. I must admit, though, board exams can be really a handful," said her Chachi.

With a rueful smile, she said, "Yeah and you know what? I have had no classes since December. In December, we had our pre-boards. After that we had revision holidays."

"Aww don't worry. Your classes will begin soon," her Chachi reassured.

"It's ten already. we should go to sleep," her Papa commanded in his strict tone.

One by one, everyone got up and went to their rooms until only Saumya and her mom were left.

She looked so lovely. With her short and stout figure, she looked so kind and gentle. Her eyes twinkled with tears. Her face had the radiance of a thousand suns. Her lips were stretched in a smile. Caressing lovingly, her daughter's hair, she turned around to leave when her daughter's voice stopped her.

"Mummy, please don't go. Everyone has gone already. Please don't leave me alone," she said, her voice  pleading, almost on the verge of cracking. Tears glistened down her fair face. Her lips, full and pink, quivered in a low strain of anguish and sorrow, courtesy of her prolonged solitude.