Chapter-7

The din and smell of humanity filled the air. There was hardly any space left as students and doctors were filing in the cafeteria to have their second nourishment of the day. Gossiping students were seated on the chairs happily chattering their time away. There were numerous round tables with chairs which now heaved under the enormous weights of their occupants. Near the counter a great many number of people had gathered to buy food items. The students could easily be sorted out from the doctors as their IDs hung around their necks swaying from side to side as their wearers moved.

In the farthest corner of this cafeteria Saumya was happily sipping her coffee. She didn't seem to be bothered by the noise in her vicinity.

"It's so good to be back in the hospital. It's good we only have Sunday off or else I would not be in a condition to even walk. I wonder how Surbhi has the ability to shop for so many long and excrutiatingly tiring hours," Saumya was brought out of her chain of thoughts as a deep voice called her.

Looking around she saw Akshit. Standing near the counter he was waving and calling out to her. It had been a long time since she had been accosted by her cronies so naturally it was strange for her.

She was still wondering as to why he was waving at her when she heard -"Mind if I sit here? Actually there is no place left," he said awkwardly.

He had never been the type of person who would walk upto someone he barely knew and ask for help. He wasn't shy but he wasn't valiant enough to talk to strangers. However he felt strangely comfortable in Saumya's presence. He wasn't as awkward as he would be with anyone else. He attributed this achievement to the fact that Saumya had an ability to make anyone comfortable in her midst and enjoy talking to her.

As far as Saumya was concerned she was a bit puzzled. It had been a long time since she actually talked to anyone apart from her friend in the hospital. A bit of chit chat was all that she talked. She had never imagined that Akshit would come and ask to sit with her. She thought that maybe he had asked her because he didn't know many people here. It wasn't such a big deal  and also she was missing Surbhi since she had taken a leave so she decided to say a yes.

Realising that she had been staring at him since long she muttered a yes and he seated himself.

Both were silently eating their lunch. No one was ready to initiate a conversation.

Saumya had a habit of talking to everyone who sat with her ever since she couldn't bear the silence when someone was with her. She had been talkative all her life until 3 years ago. Somehow unlike other times the silence which had settled between Saumya and Akshit, to Saumya seemed relaxing and comfortable.  She didn't have the urge to break the ice.

However Akshit broke the ice saying, "Where is Surbhi? Doesn't she work here too?"

"Yeah she does. Actually she is on leave today."

"Oh."

"Don't you think Pia is quite an active child?"

"Yeah that she is."

"I was wondering why you call her Baby Bear."

Saumya started laughing.

After her laugh subsided she spoke, "You see when she turned 2, I gifted her a baby bear onesie on her birthday. She loved it so much that she would not wear any other dress. She would always wear that onesie. So I started calling her Baby Bear since when she wore it she looked exactly like a Baby Bear."

The manner in which Saumya freely laughed in front of him was astounding for her. She had not laughed so freely in front of anyone else. Even Surbhi had not seen her laugh so much in a long time.