Chapter-8

Time flies by rapidly. It has been a week since Akshit joined the hospital. I don't understand why I have these feelings for him Mom. I have never felt this way ever. Why mom why? Why has he not left my thoughts? -    Saumya said facing her mom's photo. I miss you mom. I miss you a lot. I wish you were here to help me.

A lone tear escaped her eyes. Saumya, no. You should not cry. What will they think? You are strong, right? You should try to move on. As regards Akshit, well you are only overthinking. He may be nice and all but you have a promise to keep. You remember that right?"

Getting up from her bed Saumya went to her desk  and picked up her brown diary.

Being strong does not mean not crying, being strong means knowing that no matter what you should get up and pick yourself.

We all love,
We all desire,
We all expect,
Like our grandsire.

We have a bubble,
A bubble of muses,
We unflinchingly think,

That desire amuses.

In our bubble of illusion,
We believe all's true,
We have grown delusional,
But alas! we never know.

Expectation is natural,
Though not blissful,
For it is the key,
To being disdainful.

Saumya read aloud from her last diary entry. The words of the poem were ringing in her head as she tried to make her heart understand that expectations are disdainful.

"Get up and get going Saumya. It's not a Sunday."

____________

It was midday and Saumya was compiling all the reports in a file when someone knocked on the door.

"May I come in ma'am?"

"Yes sure, Pihu."

"Actually I have come to remind you that you have rounds."

"Yeah I remember. I will be there in a minute Pihu."

Pia took it as her cue to leave.

Rounds in AIIMS meant discussions held between doctors about a critical patient.

Saumya switched off her phone and walked towards the conference room.

____________

"Where is Saumya?" Akshit asked Surbhi during lunch.

Ever since he joined the hospital he always had lunch with the two friends in the cafe.

"She is gone for rounds. She will have lunch afterwards."

"Ohh so do you have rounds like everyday?"

"Of course no. We have rounds once a week."

Their conversation was interrupted by the long ring of Surbhi's phone.

________________

The rounds were finally over and Saumya had finally reached her cabin. Switching on her phone she noticed many missed calls. Some from Pia's school while others from Surbhi.

Saumya gasped with horror. With eyes as big as the stars she called her school. No one picked up so she called her friend.

"Please pick up," she was muttering under her breath.

Her last ray of hope was shattered to pieces as Surbhi's call went to voicemail. All the horrors of the past started resurfacing. All sorts of questions doubting her sister's welfare arose in her mind. Her hands were trembling like the one who has seen a ghost. Indeed it was true for she had been haunted by the ghosts of her past. Her lips were parched and her throat dry. Her face was as white as a dhobi washed sheet. Her head was spinning with a throbbing pain.

"You are strong Saumya. Nothing will happen to Pia. Don't worry."

Getting up she stumbled and sat back down. Mustering all the strength in her she got up and started walking.

Pihu was rushing towards her but she had eyes only for Pia. Her vision was a bit blurry.

"Pihu I have an emergency at home. Please inform HOD sir that I am going home."

"Sure ma'am but are you alright?"

"Of course."

Saumya went to the restroom and washed her face umpteen times. Glancing at her reflection she tried to wipe away the last ounce of fear in them and walked out.

She walked with her head held high and face neutral.

Reaching the school she went up to the guard. Her head was still spinning but she paid no heed.

"Hey, is there anyone in the school?"

"No madam, all the students have gone," the guard replied.

Her eyes went wide. Her body went limp like spaghetti noodles. She stared at the guard for what seemed like an eternity.

Finally she spoke, "Okay, thank you."

It took all the strength in her body to say that. In a daze she walked towards her car leaving a trail of zigzag patterns.

Suddenly her phone started ringing. It was Surbhi. With a shaking hand she put the phone near her ear. "What?!"

________

Hello folks!

I know its a short update. So what do you think happened to Pia? How was the chapter? I will upload a new update with a longer chapter soon.

Love,

Mia