Chapter-18

The corridor was bustling with people. Some were wearing white coats as they walked about carrying reports and clipboard. Some were sitting on the chairs lined against the wall with a look of worry. The odor of disinfectants swirled in the air. However, no one seemed to be frazzled by what was happening around, except him. He was walking down the long passage, desperate, as he headed towards his cabin.

"Hey, Akshit, wait up."

The man turned around, gingerly. Flushed, he spoke up, "Hi, Saumya. I have to go somewhere. Anything important?"

"Uh no but," narrowing her eyes, she continued, "aren't you going to the cafeteria?"

"No, uh, actually I have to go meet a few friends," he answered. He was sure his change in demeanor wouldn't go unnoticed. How could he have been so foolish?

"Oh sure. Bye," Saumya's voice rang in his ears. He felt almost guilty for turning his back but there was no time to waste. What if she has already come by it? That would surely be a recipe for the disaster.

Standing in front of his cabin's door a sudden nervousness which he had tried to numb for so long gripped him in its vines. How could he leave it there?

Wishing that it was still intact, he entered inside. The cabin was exactly as it had been. The files were scattered on the table but he had eyes only for that small box. Damn it! Where did I keep it? He frantically threw things hither-tither in hopes of finally finding the box when it suddenly presented itself. He hastily picked it up.

The velvety texture of the rose shaped box brushed his fingers as he opened it. Inside lay a beautiful diamond bracelet. The big azure solitaire surrounded by vines of silver leaves. It had been his mother's and now it would be...

No way! How ironic! I definitely need a psychologist examining me.

Shoving the box in his pocket he went to the one place his mind was set on.

Standing in front of the wooden doors of the familiar cafe, he was hesitant. He didn't know why he was acting so weirdly. Why he was so nervous to talk about it to his friends? Brushing his thoughts away, he opened the door to Books And Coffee as the familiar jingle filled the air.

Looking around the rustic cafe with numerous round tables and chairs, he found his friend sitting at the usual table.

As he reached the table, his friend got up. Wearing a light blue jeans and tee, he clapped a hand on his back and said, "Long time no see, bro. Howdy? What is it that you wanted to talk about?"

"I believe we should treat ourselves with some coffee first. I, for one, definitely need it."

Nodding, the two friends sat down.

The waiter came and took their order.

"Hmm so now tell me, Akshit, what is bothering you?"

"Actually Vivek," he started, his eyes cast down as he scratched his neck.

"Wait up bro," with widened eyes, Vivek said, "You're nervous man. Do you like someone?"

Taken aback, Akshit exclaimed, "What?! How ridiculous can my friends be?" He said with an exaggerated flailing of his hands.

"Bro, it's so obvious. Okay now tell me all about this girl."

"Uh actually it's Saumya."

"Care to tell me who she is," Vivek interjected.

"If you listen, then of course."

Vivek nodded.

"So we're friends and neighbours. I think I like her but she is a puzzle. I mean when she smiles, her smile never reaches her eyes. She looks like a very happy girl on the outside but she isn't. Her family died  three years ago and now she lives with her 8 year old cousin. I really want to help her but I feel clueless. I can't bear to see her angry or sad. It's like a trigger in me goes off." He huffed a defeated sigh at the end.