CHAPTER FIVE

Evelyn leans against the table as she watches Bonnie try to do the locator spell but fails once again. Evelyn sighs as she looks at Bonnie who was frowning, "it doesn't feel right. Maybe I need a bigger map."

Damon walks in placing the newspaper down on the bourbon bench before pouring himself a glass of Bourbon looking over at Bonnie, "maybe you're just out of practising, you suck at magic now."

"Damon! Seriously. Could you please be helpful for once in your life," Evelyn snaps at him which resulted in Damon rolling his eyes.

"Ignore him, Bonnie. Pretend he's a white noise machine," Bonnie gave the idea some thought as Kai steps closer to Evelyn who was staring at him.

"It's how I used to tune out my siblings. I grew up with a ton of little sisters and brothers, you know, all of them constantly yammering," Kai leans closer to her as she stares up at him before glancing at his soft pink lips, "but it taught me how to focus." His breath tickles her lips as she stares into his eyes that always seem to be changing colours from a grey to a blue.

"Easy there, big brother!" Damon glares causing them both to snap their head in his direction, "she doesn't know you. At least buy her a drink."

Evelyn moves away from Kai feeling slightly flustered. Bonnie raises an eyebrow a smirk gracing her lips which results in Evelyn nudging her.

"I'll get you a bigger map," Evelyn announces avoiding Kai's eyes as she leaves the room.

She let out a puff of air trying to calm her heart rate that skyrocketed when she was standing that close to Kai. She found the map and took it back to the room everyone else was in.

"Here," Evelyn opens the map of all the states and places it on the table. She moves back and bumps into a smirking Kai his hands holding her waist to keep her steady.

She clears her throat moving away from him to stand on the other side of Bonnie who wore a wide smirk.

Kai places his blood on the map again and Bonnie starts the spell once again. The blood starts moving towards Virginia causing Kai to fake confusion and Evelyn notices.

"The spell's leading to South Virginia. That can't be right."

"Mmm, the spell's working. Showing we're in Mystic Falls. It feels so close," Bonnie furrows her brows.

"Wait a second..." Evelyn walks towards when she sees a bulge in his jacket pocket. Evelyn walks towards a smirking Kai. She places a hand on his chest and slowly moves it up until she felt the ascendant through his jacket pocket, "I think I found it."

"Very good," Kai smirks.

"That's the ascendant?" Bonnie questions from behind Evelyn who drops her hand from his chest making Kai frown.

"The one and only," Kai takes the ascendant out of his pocket and waves it in the air.

"Thanks for the mind games, jackass," Damon glares.

"It was just another little test. To make sure Bonnie's magic was precise enough for the spell - Evelyn may have beat her to it but close enough, right?" Kai shrugs with a smile, "I do believe, you're ready. Pack your bags. We're going home."

***

Evelyn, Damon and Bonnie follow Kai outside as he walks around aiming the ascendant up at the sky as he looks at it closely.

"You are wandering around like a crazy man, why?" Damon asks impatiently as he walks next to Evelyn and Bonnie who were whispering to each other.

"Looking for the exact right spot. We need to find where the power of the eclipse is focused," Kai explains as he continues walking ahead of the group.