CHAPTER NINE

Evelyn walks down the hallway of Whitmore Hospital trying to find Alaric's room. She finally finds it and stands in the doorway of his room to see Damon playing with the machines connected to Alaric.

"I really don't think you should be playing with all that stuff," Alaric told Damon as he continued to push random buttons on the machine.

"Keep going. We are on a roll. All the terrible things I did to people that Elena cared about. Let's see. I turned Caroline into my own personal blood juice box, I turned Matt's sister into a vampire and, threatened to kill Bon-Bon a couple of times," Damon lists.

"More than a couple."

"Subjective. Sometimes, I was being funny," Damon sent his friend a look.

"And you killed Stefan's best friend at his birthday party," Alaric points out, "and what about the times you almost killed Evelyn."

"Let's not forgot the times he did kill me," Evelyn makes her presence known walking into the room with a smirk on her face, her white sneakers squeaking against the tiled hospital floor.

"You came back with the Gilbert ring...you were fine," Damon waves her off as he continued to play with the hospital equipment.

"How ya doing, Ric?" Evelyn asks standing on the other side of him.

"Getting by," Alaric replies shrugging.

"Oh! What about the time you snapped Jeremy's neck after Elena told you she'd never love you," Evelyn adds crossing her arms as Alaric smirks when Damon sent her a look.

"On second thought, let's focus on all the charming, heroic things you obliterated from my girl's mind," Damon pats Alaric's cheek.

Alaric threw his head back and groans, "God, if I could take it all back, I would."

"Would you stop rubbing this in! It's not his fault," Evelyn reached over and slaps Damon on the arm, "he tried to save your ass that was in trouble once again."

Alaric gave Evelyn a small smile which she returns as Damon rolls his eyes,

"I know. And listen. Despite the fact that my long list of dastardly deeds involves killing you, I'm glad you're alive," Damon gives Alaric a genuine look.

"Thanks, man," Alaric smiles but it drops when Damon aggressively pats his chest that was in pain causing Evelyn to shake her head.

"Although had you actually died a vampire instead of becoming human again, your compulsion would have gone away, and Elena would be mine again," Damon wraps the cord that was giving Alaric fluids around his finger causing Alaric to grab it out of his hand and give him a look.

"Hey. Really heartfelt. Appreciate it."

Evelyn walks to where Damon is when he starts pushing buttons on the machine again making a flatlining noise come out from it.

"Stop pushing buttons, bozo," Evelyn slaps him upside the head, "he doesn't need to die at the hands of you again."

"Exactly. Remember if you kill me, I'm dead for good this time," Alaric points at him making Damon take the fingertip heart rate monitor of his pointer finger causing Evelyn to run a hand down her face.

"Would you stop that!" Evelyn slaps Damon once again causing him to glare at her just as Jo walks in.

"Good morning," Jo greets staring at Damon suspiciously before pushing a button on the machine to stop the beeping.

"Morning," Evelyn waves awkwardly making Jo smile at the young girl.

"Hey. I don't know if this is a good time," Alaric calls out.