CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Kai woke up the next morning with his arm thrown over Evelyn who was facing him still asleep. He removed his arm slowly as his eyes glazing over her pale skin and smooth rosy cheeks that can be seen due to the sunlight seeping through the curtains. He preferred seeing her like this; calm and relaxed.

From the moment he met her, he could tell she carried the weight of the world on her shoulders and seeing her this relaxed put him at ease for some reason. His mind may be replaying some horrible memories but having Evelyn by his side made him a feel much better knowing that he wasn't going through this alone.

This was a foreign feeling to him; the feeling of comfort. He never experienced much of that growing up. He always felt like an outsider in his own home, he never truely fit in with his family. He never had any friends, he mainly just hung out with Jo, but with Evelyn it was different. He felt different. He didn't know what this feeling was. It was like this warmth that radiated off her that made him feel safe and secure.

Kai rolls onto his back, staring at the ceiling with a sigh falling from him plump lips. Maybe that is what friendship is; having someone there to pick you up after you fall. Someone to make you feel safe and secure. Kai was new to this whole friendship thing. He assumed this is how all platonic relationships feel like but he was still unsure because he had a feeling that there was something more to this.

Kai turns his head when he hears Evelyn shuffling. He smiles when her eyes open, revealing her beautiful sea-green eyes that he loves.

"Morning," Evelyn musters up a smile, her eyes squinting as they adjust to the sunlight pouring in from the curtain in the room.

"Hi," Evelyn's voice comes out soft as she runs her hands down her face to wake her up, "how are you feeling?"

"Yeah, uh, better, I guess. Well better than yesterday," Evelyn smiles nodding her head.

"That's good."

"Thank you," Kai clears his throat feeling nervous under her soft gaze, "for last night."

"Yeah, of course. What are friends for?" Evelyn smiles making Kai smile as well, not understanding the feeling in the pit of his stomach when he heard the word 'friends'.

"Come on, I'm making breakfast," Kai gets up out of bed making Evelyn sit up leaning on her arms.

"You don't need to do that," Evelyn shakes her head in protest.

"It's the least I can do," Evelyn opens her mouth to protest but Kai cuts her off, "don't even think about it. How do you feel about French toast?"

"That actually sounds pretty good," Kai smiles happily walking towards his door, "there's a spare toothbrush and toothpaste under the sink. I'll use the other bathroom."

"Thanks, Kai," Evelyn gives him a small smile as he walks out of the room closing the door behind him.

She lets out a breath of air she didn't know she was holding. She falls back against the mattress and covers her face with her hands.

"Oh, god, I'm so screwed," Evelyn mumbles into her head, her heat still beating fast after the close proximity she had with Kai.

She forces herself out of bed going into the bathroom to wash her face and brush her teeth. By the time she gets back her phone starts ringing. She quickly answers it when she notices it was Caroline calling.

"Care-"

"You didn't come back to the dorm. Are you okay? Is Kai?" Caroline asks cutting her sister off.

"Yeah, we're both fine.Well now we are" Evelyn explains as she takes a seat on the bed leaning against the headboard, "I decided to stay the night since it was late."