CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

Kai adjusts the black coat he was wearing trying to conceal himself from the cold wind. He walks down the rocky trail leading him to the hidden place he has wanted to go to since he got back to the dreadful city that brought back nothing but painful memories. The hour long ceremony had finished meaning that he needed to go to the party held in his honour afterwards where he should be at the moment, but he had been avoiding his father ever since the ceremony finished. He couldn't wait for this dreadful day to be over. He just wanted to go back to Mystic Falls where he could see the one person that always seemed to calm him down and make him feel wanted in a world that always showed him he wasn't worth it.

He walks further down the rocky path until he saw the wooden bench he would always sit at when his dad was giving him a hard time. He takes a seat looking at the river stream that was running down along the rocky path, seeming like it was neverending. Kai sighs pulling out his phone hovering over Evelyn's name on his phone, wanting to call her but decided against it. He opens his photos and starts flicking through the photos he's taken over the last couple of weeks with Evelyn. A small involuntary smile makes its way onto his face as he looks through the countless amounts of selfies Evelyn made him take with her.

"Well, isn't this a sight to see? Malachai Parker in the flesh."

Kai quickly switched off his phone when he heard his voice. He looks up smirking when he saw Julius Agnelos, one of the witches on the council he was close to when growing up, floating above the river. Luckily it was secluded area with only the two of them. Julius was the only one on the council that actually likes Kai and didn't treat him like an abomination when he was growing up.

"Julius, you were always one to make a dramatic entrance," Kai slides his phone into his jean pocket leaning back against the bench.

Julius smiles back walking over and taking a seat next to him looking at the river in front of him, "I never thought I'd see you back here."

"Had to come for the ceremony," Kai answers staring ahead, only turning to look at him when he heard a low scoff, "what?"

"In all my years of knowing you, you have never gone to any ceremonies or rituals for our coven," Julius raises an eyebrow, "and you seemed pretty invested in your phone just moments ago so...who is she?"

Kai scoffs looking away from him, "there is no she."

"Malachai, I know when you're lying. I may not be an elder but I am on the council, so spit it out," Julius motioned for him to speak.

"Evelyn Forbes."

Julius hums, "a descendant of the huntress of The Five. Nice choice."

"How do you know about—"

"I know everything about every supernatural being," Julius shrugs crossing his arms smirking at Kai who was avoiding his gaze, "so, what's she like?"

"I'm not doing this with you," Kai shakes his head keeping a hard gaze on the river.

Julius looks at Kai with a teasing smile, "would you look at that? The Malachai Parker is falling for a girl."

"Stop using my full name," Kai glares at him purposely ignoring the question making Julius laugh.

"You really are. Huh, did not peg you as the type to fall in love," Kai rolls his eyes.

"Julius, I may like you but that doesn't mean I won't throw you across this river," Julius rolls his eyes at his threat.

"Malachai, do you like this girl?" Kai clenched his jaw not answering making Julius sigh, "the longer you suppress this feeling, the harder you're going to fall," Julius states turning his body to face him, "look, I'm the only one you can talk to since I'm the only one that doesn't want to maim and kill you."