Chon

From a dozen stories up, I looked out over Běijīng metropolis. Seconds later I closed my eyes and inhaled the city air through the opened window. I'd hoped to clear my mind, meditate, and ultimately calm my spirit, but it wasn't happening. Frustrated, I clawed at my neck, trying to relieve an irritable itch I imagined my new vest had caused. Seeking solace, I prayed for guidance and intervention.

    Lord Huányīn. Help me to find myself again. Make this journey one of hope, not woe. Show me and my family a path of honor, not further shame, and walk with us upon it, I beg of you.

    Afterward, I sucked in more of the atmosphere's essence and wondered how people across the world would react to Xen's Solution. Again, I prayed, hoping they'd all be ready for whatever he threw at them.

    I returned to my bedroom to sort myself out. With a lot on my mind it'd gotten messy in recent weeks and I'd wasted time wading through piles of clean and dirty things. But eventually I filled a large holo-case with as many rain-proof garments I could find. I also set aside clothes I intended to travel in: beige-colored shorts and a navy-blue polo shirt.

    I discarded my underwear and headed for the shower to freshen up. Once dry, I got dressed and grabbed my knapsack. Next, I activated my iDot. "Morning Chon - date 03/06 - time 07:33," a synthesized voice offered. Seconds later, the vocal tones morphed into a holoscreen avatar.

    "Morning A.I.D.A. Let's check the tabloids..." I held my breath while my Designated Assistant scrambled the screen.

    "As you wish:

5: Chóngqìng Chronicle - 'Xen Lai Invites Green Justice Leader Robin Albers To His Solution Summit!'

4: Shànghǎi Sun - 'Two Months After Scandal, Xen Lai Still In Government? President Ming Du Han, How And Why?'

3: Tiānjīn Times - 'Xen Lai And Lee Mishina's CPC Vision: Corruption, Problems, Chaos?'

2: Qīngdǎo Observer - 'Xen Lai: China's Perverted Pest Or Political Prodigy?'

1: BTV - 'Shamed Politician's Journalist Brother Set To Be Second Row Guest At Solution Summit'."

    "Super," I mumbled. "Dieng and Gail kept that quiet."

    Gail Hom was once a helpful BTV intern. But she turned on me after securing a permanent contract as my Desk Assistant. She was also sleeping with Charlie, which didn't help things.

    "A.I.D.A, anything positive on social media?"

    "Unfortunately, there isn't. Chon, with your family members and The Solution in mind, sixty-six per cent of comments are derogatory. Please advise me:"

    "A.I.D.A, dismiss the notifications and thanks for the warning. What's the global weather like?"

    "Worldwide, there's approximately eight hundred storm systems, all with normal surges. The major weather anomalies are a lightning-snow-storm in Brazil, and the firenadoes in southern Greenland. The rest of the planet is in alignment with June's newest records and forecasts."

    "Okay, good," I said. "Nothing too bad. A.I.D.A, clear all that and begin a fresh PTS."

    "As you wish: Private Transport Search complete. Should I open the link?"

    "Yes please."

    "Chon, linking BLT..."

    "Hello, Běijīng Luxury Taxis, the controller speaking..."

    "...Hi, could I have an A.I.D.E as soon as possible please?"

    "I'm sorry," the empathetic controller explained, "but I just dispatched the last one."

    Of course, he did. It was just typical. "No worries," I said, "just send a normal driver then."

    "Okay, sir. Can you confirm the name and address details we have for you on holoscreen?"

    "Yes of course. The name's Chon Lai, address is a hundred and nine, apartment twenty-three, Yinhang Stree-"

    "-So, you are Chon Lai from BTV! Xen Lai's younger br-"

    "-All I need is a taxi, I don't want any hassle..."

    "Yes of course, Mr. Lai, I apologize."

    People were audacious and unprofessional as it was and Xen's actions only amplified things. "Could you just book it for three stops and get the driver here as soon as you can. I've got places to be and have a flight to catch," I said.

    "Yes Mr. Lai, I'll book it right away!" he assured. "Your data number for the vehicle is four, zero, and it's downloaded onto your iDot now."

    "Thanks," I said with discontent and waited for the tingle in my wrist which told me the code was there.

    "Goodbye Mr. Lai and thanks for your custom. We look forward to serving you again!"

    It was the last time I ever booked with them and I stewed a little with my back against the wall. I remained there until the apartment buzzer rang via my Dot. Once it did, I headed down to the lobby with my belongings. Meanwhile, my concierge already had the holo-door dematerialized. Stood before us was a skinny driver who smiled from ear to ear. He wore crinkled leather clothing and pried the heavy luggage from my hand. He was also quick to offer overly nice pleasantries. "Hello, newsman, I'll take that from you, thank you! And please, do follow me!" He grabbed it all with ease and despite a scrawny frame was just as strong as an A.I.D.E - Artificial Intelligent Designated Escort - proficient droids who'd replaced most human taxi drivers in every major city on Earth.

    As soon as I'd stepped out, I was bombarded with glares from my Yinhang Street neighbors. It made me feel as though everything had stopped moving, except for the red lanterns suspended high above the street. Subtly, they continued to dance on air currents from The Filters. But after what felt like forever, the locals resumed their business. As I followed the driver to the taxi a short way down, I wrinkled my nose and battled his odor. He was clearly good at pleasantries, just not personal hygiene. Unimpressed, I pointed my nose in another direction and sniffed on holorette smoke, exhaust fumes and griddle aromas from the local vendors, all of which inspired the scent of the city air. Once I scanned my wrist against the taxi's data reader, I entered, got comfortable and waited for the Seatstream to fasten me in. The door re-materialized behind me and I instructed the driver. "The first stop is The Promenade, please."

    "Oh, The Promenade?" he heckled gleefully. "The rich part of town, ay? No problems!"

    The man was just as bad as Ken Wan. They were intrusive and talked too much.

    Moving off, the vehicle accelerated, and G-Force pulled me back and cranked my spine. I had to speak my mind. "Driver, you don't have to go so fast! I want to get there quickly, but not arrive with whiplash!"

    "'Whiplash'," he scowled, "no-no; surely you're aware Seatstreams prevent that, but apologies! I only put my foot down as my controller said you were in a rush! He also mentioned you wanted an A.I.D.E? Why would you when you can have a natural like me who can really 'feel' the road? I'll drive nicely, newsman and much better than the tin cans. You'll see!"

    And, like Dieng, he was also cantankerous.

    After cringing inside, I readjusted in my seat, but as I did, I saw stubbed-out holorette butts on the driver's dashboard. Again, it was a reminder of how disheveled the man was and I looked around my surroundings until my wrist buzzed. "What now?" I rumbled. Once I'd beamed out the link, it showed my infamous brother trying to get through and I only answered to find out if our mother had knocked any sense into him since we last linked. Naturally, my guard was still up, but I was ready to deal with him.