Chon

For whatever the reason, mùqīn wanted me to hear the file's audio and take note of 'SS-CSP'. I did wonder what it meant but nothing came to mind and it was something I planned to get back to. But respecting I had a lot on my mind, I dared to just ask. "Hello mùqīn. So, are you going to tell me what it means, or is this going to turn into one of your mysteries?" A subtle smile crested her worn face.

    I huffed with disappointment. Reason being, it was too early for games.

    "Good morning, Chon. It's nice to see you, and indeed, it will remain a mystery for now."

    "Fine," I said and rolled my eyes. A.I.D.A made a mental note of SS-CSP, then I moved to change the subject.

    But despite her age, mùqīn was still sharper than most and beat me to it. "How's Sarah...?"

    "...She's, fine," I' said hastily, trying to play down the question. I had no idea why mùqīn always asked after my sound girl, but she probably knew how I felt about Sarah. After all, Miss. Wong was the only girl I'd ever brought home, despite our relationship being strictly professional.

    "Good," mùqīn said. "I'm glad she's fine.

    "Now, Chon, I only seem to talk to you over links these days and before you say it, you can't blame your work. If Xen can find the time to physically visit, then so can you."

    "Mùqīn, please, I don't want to hear your praise of Xen. Despite scandal, he gets more than enough, and it's frustrating just like his repetitive questions. I had to cut him off not long ago. I can't deal with his oblivious outlook on things."

    "Chon, his outlook is far from oblivious," the old woman contested, "and you know it. So do his political peers and they're wise to maintain their support. He's one of the greatest thinkers of our time and The Solution will prove it..."

    "Mùqīn, I don't doubt Xen's unorthodox genius. It just would've been nice if he'd 'thought' before he stumbled into, Boudoir." I felt bad when she dipped her head, so moved the conversation along. "Anyway, has Xen linked you yet? He didn't say when we spoke and to be honest, I only answered hoping you had?"

    "Chon, it's eight in the morning," she whined. "I'm sure I'll speak to Xen later but give him a chance. We both know he has much to do." Suddenly there was a change in her tone. "Anyway, I know why you've come. But I will not deter him in anyway. Chon, he must go ahead with the summit. What you've got to remember is, The Solution is bigger than Xen, even us. It's for the world; which must come first; and despite being Traditionalist, I'm happy to absorb the shame in order to help him achieve it."

    Frustrated, I scoffed and turned away, but she latched onto my forearm and softly pulled me back. "There's more," she said. "Chon, I know precisely what Xen plans to unveil, but have been sworn to secrecy. I also have a confession to make..."

    I had an idea what was coming. Mùqīn always was obsessed with projects.

    "...I'm involved in a private venture on behalf of The Solution and cannot share any more than that."

    "Has it got anything to do with this, SS-CSP?" She said nothing but smiled. Therefore, it was as good as confirmation. "Well, mùqīn, you've made your position clear and I'll respect it, even though I don't like it. Take care while we're gone, and I'll check in once I'm back." I held firm while talking to her, but once I'd walked away, was flooded with emotions. I was upset they'd kept things from me and Suki. After all, it was this kind of nonchalance I feel caused her to move away. I was upset they'd made moral decisions when it was all of us - fùqīn's spirit included - who'd continue to be labeled and condemned. Most of all, I was upset mùqīn had chosen to help Xen's cause, rather than mourn our family's loss.

    When I got back inside the taxi, I sat hunched again until the Seatstream beeped at me. I straightened up and shuffled back, allowing the mechanized holobelt to drape over my shoulders, and as soon as I was locked in the driver started again. "So, newsman, where to now?"

    "BTV, downtown," I said. He nodded, faced forwards and stamped the accelerator. As we glided away from my fùqīn's estate, I tried to compose myself by putting things into perspective. Whatever mùqīn's private venture was, I knew it would be relevant and important. After all, she was the world's most renowned climatologist, and one of The Elders - a hundred of Earth's greatest minds. Furthermore, there was no doubt Xen was headed for Elder status as well, if he could get back on track. But my main concern was mùqīn and Xen using Super Storms Seth and Sadie as recent case studies. I'd reported on them for BTV and didn't want to get dragged into the summit. But, based on the news bulletin from earlier, I already had. I was set to be a second-row guest at The Solution and was petrified what my family were up to. Rightly so, I accessed my holopad to remind myself of what my correspondent team had learnt and endured.

    'Good afternoon, China! I'm reporting from a reinforced bunker in Pyapon, once a flourishing tourist hot spot! But as you can see, now another Burmese city which continues to be pulled apart by ferocious winds in excess of four hundred kilometers per hour!

    'Super Sadie is the biggest of 2047 so far, and now she's traversing towards Bangladesh and India where climate scientists say she'll continue to devastate!

    'It's estimated she's claimed the lives of over thirty-five thousand people, with the amount injured thought to reflect far greater numbers!

    'And, we know she's smashed Super Seth's long-standing record, having clocked staggering winds of over eight hundred kilometers per hour back in the Gulf of Thailand!

    'That's not all... In the last hour, worldwide monitoring centers have released statements declaring Sadie has surpassed Seth's Category 7 status by spawning her own exclusive one, Category 8...

    'It's like something out of a disaster movie! So, for now China, this is Chon Lai, signing off from my Sadie location! Michelle and Mae-Zu in the BTV studio, back to you!

    'Sarah, Mikey, let's get comfortable! It might be a while before our transport arrives!'

    Once back up to speed, I looked out at my surroundings. I was almost at work and apprehension washed over me. I squeezed my knapsack, released my grip, and repeated the motion. I knew I'd have to deal with Dieng, Charlie and Gail, as well as the other vipers which graced the office. And, I sensed things were about to get more uncomfortable than usual.

End of Chapter 3