Chon

It was show time. "Mr. Secretary, whatever it is you plan to construct, wouldn't various planning permissions need to have been submitted and ratified first?" As far as Dieng was concerned, I knew my question would have The Ripe Cheeses cheering in their elusive towers.

    Xen smiled at me before responding though. "Yes, Mr. Lai, indeed they would, and know that the appropriate construction plans have been - and for the last three years, in fact... This will become far more apparent as part of tomorrow's presentation."

    Professionally, Xen had just taken away my glory. However, on a personal note, it had allowed me to deduce one thing.

    The Solution was more than just months in the making.

    Once I'd figured that out, Xen winked at me. Then he locked onto Myagi sat beside Carla.

 Then he locked onto Myagi sat beside Carla

    "Mr. Koisuni of RSN, the next question is yours."

    "Mr. Secretary, is what you plan to construct a replacement of The Filters, or an incorporation of filter technology?"

    "Mr. Koisuni, no, regarding the replacement of The Filters. Although, yes, regarding some elements of filter technology. But promisingly, something far more imaginative," Xen teased. "Miss. Dwyer, your next question please."

    "Mr. Secretary, is The Solution some sort of attempt at honorable redemption regarding your scandal-"

    "-Of course, it's not," Robin scoffed without looking back. "Miss. Dwyer; the Secretary's already implied he's been working on The Solution long before his father's passing, or the consensual abuse of adult entertainers, so please; learn to listen for suggestiveness-"

    Robin's manner was ill and rude, and someone had to set her straight. That person was me and I sucked away her smoke as quickly as I could! "-Ms. Albers," I interjected, "this conference already has a moderator and he's stood on stage. You might be an invited guest here, but remember, this is a press conference for the media community, not climate campaigners. Wait until you're spoken to." I'd felt elated about my bold move, and knew Xen appreciated it. He pointed to me, and I assumed my reward was getting the next question. "Mr. Secretary, are there any world agencies involved in The Solution?"

    "Mr. Lai, indeed, there are."

    "Mr. Secretary, any you'd like to divulge?"

    "Not at this time," Xen declined. "But the main one is heavily invested in my vision and will be a part of tomorrow's summit."

    As I mimed a thank you, Robin got her retribution and sucked back the oxygen I'd stolen. "Chon and Xen Lai, forgive me for not wanting to endure your game of brotherly love; but I have a better question; will The Solution plummet or threaten world economy in anyway...?"

    Immediately, the mood in the convention center changed due to Robin cutting to the chase. Thankfully, Xen held his high ground. "Ms. Albers, that will depend on how individuals perceive what we share," he paused. "I imagine they'll look at it in two lights. Either as a pointless initiative of vast expenditure... Or, as a global investment for the future..."

    Xen had said various indirect statements throughout the morning, and I knew how frustrating they were. I just hoped that was the very last of them. After a dozen more questions, Xen cleared his throat, likely signalling the end of the conference. "Tomorrow, I will stand here again and present The Solution. Based on its intricate details, be sure to take rest. You're going to need it... Thank you, thank you," he finished, as we all shot to our feet.