Xen

Across Baikonur, Virgin Galactica had given the crafts the all-clear and the LAT's were about to be tested rigorously on a non-stop twenty-four hour schedule. It was a promising time as the goliath technologies had to be put through their paces, at least as well as they could be with the time available. But before testing commenced, my coalition comrades agreed that it would be worth letting people get an intimate look of Dynasty and Stardom's interiors, just in case disaster struck during their ascensions and the chance diminished.

    Once I'd finished the final tour, a dramatic scene unfolded... Three small groups of people stood at the ultra-titanic base of Stardom. Sadly, they poured out their hearts with one another, while I tried to keep my profile as low as possible...

    "To the both of you," Lee sighed with sadness, "I cannot thank you and your tradesmen enough for what you have achieved here. In addition to your offer to stay behind, the Tripod Coalition will forever be in your debt."

    "Mr. President," Ji-Hye Jong responded, "it has been our pleasure."

    "Indeed, it has," Ji-Eun Jong concurred. "More importantly, we know of an easy way to pay the debt...Mr. President, just ensure that along with Meiser Group, our names grace the holo-books of history."

    "Gentlemen," Lee postured, "of that, I will make damn sure."

    In the center of the cluster, the second group spoke among themselves with an air of ferventness.

    "...Ling, just like Widow Lai and my father...you are Eligible," Stephen bawled. "Sweetheart, please come with us. Not to is just madness. The Jong Brothers are more than capable of caretaking Baikonur."

    "I know," she acknowledged. "But these bio-holodomes are my life's work and the pinnacle of it. Stephen, if something goes wrong, if the World-Ender descends upon us, I want to be here to give those who remain a fighting chance."

    Stood next to Ling, my mother gestured a slight nod of respect to her old protégé.

    Stood behind his son, Cassius Wu turned his face, no doubt ignoring the awkwardness.

    However, along with me, both of The Elders continued to listen to the young couple with their sorry eyes fixed to the ground.

    "So, you'll use up your fight for the felon's sake but not ours? Ling, shouldn't you fight for us too?" Stephen asked.

    "Inadvertently, I am," she pleaded. "Look, never mind Base Team Two. I want to grow old with you, Stephen. But I want to do so in a stable world, not a destabilized one. So, until 2060 we must remain strong and dedicated. I owe this to Baikonur, the same as you three owe it to Dwarven Earthian Star. Never forget. This is bigger than all of us."

    Meanwhile, at the far end of my reach, the last set of people huddled closely together.

    "I'm sorry, guys," Chon repeated, unable to look at anyone directly. "I really thought Michelle could've taken Ling's eligible place, but..."

    "...But we know," Michelle calmly said as she clung to Sarah. "O-Kenai's adamant that I remain as interim editor. We know. It's not Xen's fault, nor yours, so don't keep beating yourself up about it. Okay?"

    "Okay," Chon mumbled, his limp response possibly emphasizing his helplessness as he glanced over at me.

    "The fact that you and Xen got me here on this exclusive 'Guest Freighter Tour' is more than I could've asked for," Michelle admitted to Chon. "And at least this way, we get to say a proper, goodbye."

    Despite the randomness of The Lottery Draft, O-Kenai had forced me to tinker with it, regarding most of the top players at BTV. Naturally, this included Michelle Zungai. And so, I couldn't help but feel dreadful. Seeing more corruption and sacrifice pan out in front of me was beyond hard. Especially as O-Kenai had made a final decision on Michelle that I dared not interfere with. All I could do was watch Chon's quartet fall apart. Probably finding the situation just as difficult as the others, Sarah had let go of Michelle while maintaining a saddened silence. Mikey was quiet, too. He daydreamed into a blank space while saline built at the base of his eyes.

    "Come here," Michelle requested with open palms, her eyes naturally welling up too as she caught Mikey's tears and smeared them away. "Look. You're a man. A fine man and I want you. More than you can ever know. But if being apart will be too much - if you feel like you need to spread your wings and fly, then I'm okay with that. I want my GGE to be happy."

    Sarah's weeping intensified as her friend poured her heart out.

    With his hands upon his hips, Chon looked to the sky, woefully.

    Meanwhile, Mikey puffed out his chest and flicked his ponytail once he'd absorbed Michelle's declaration. Next, he wiped the heavy slick of remaining tears from his eyes and cheeks that had inevitably spilled. "Listen to me. You are my Geek Girl, my Puddin', who I c-can't live without," gigantor contested. "I need you, like Bane needs his respirator!"

    They all managed a slight chuckle.

    "Michelle, I can't bear to think of what life will be like up there, but I'll keep busy," he maintained. "I'll work on making myself a better me. In the meantime, we'll link until The Matrix code crashes, and more importantly, know this..."

    Mikey clasped his arms around the interim editor's waist and vaulted her off the floor with ease. "...Know that I will never spread my wings until it is time to fly back to you. You and me, we're mates for life."

    As the beauty and the geek passionately kissed while sobbing, Chon looked at Sarah. They were also tearful until my little brother followed suit and pulled her in desperately close. "Sarah, we are so lucky," he whispered while she embraced the affection. "No matter what happens in the future, just know that I will never take you for granted. Know that I will never leave you. You and me, we're mates for life, too."

    Seeing all three groups pining over each other made me think about my own life. In all honesty, I was alone, choosing to push away my love interest, long ago. The Solution had been my priority and still was via The Contingency. Furthermore, I knew my destiny was bound to the stars, but I did wonder if love would ever find me again.