Widow Lai

Once my beloved niece had paid me respect, she moved away from my pod to join the others.

    I then took a few moments before even attempting to set my sights on the five Lais who I had longed to see again.

    And, in Skye's case, for the very first time.

    As soon as I had gathered my senses, I fought back tears, in order to ignore my pain and discomfort. "My dear f-family, I apologize for all of the s-secrecy, over the years. I had to make sure that things happened when they were, meant to." Unsurprisingly, I was still groggy. Therefore, my words came out at a slower pace and I hoped this would not cause further frustration. I knew that they had all waited far too long to learn of my secret. With haste, I tried to rush my next sentence. However, my impatience was punished as a piercing pain shot through my head.

    Unable to do anything else, I had winced.

    And upon doing so, my inclined neck flounced my head back to my cold pillow.

    "Mùqīn!" Xen yelped, "are you okay? You don't look right..."

    In the wake of my atrophy, my eldest son had moved in on me with concern. "Xen. I am as well as can be expected. And as Suki can attest, these waning symptoms will only get, worse... However, for now, I am okay. If anything, it is just thirst that is getting the b-better of me. Some water to wet my lips would be, appreciated."

    Kindly, my daughter-in-law had picked up my inadvertent request. "Mùqīn, water shouldn't be too hard to find. We'll only be a moment," Sarah waved. And upon doing so, she had taken Skye with her to find some.

    I was also led to believe that Sarah had departed, so that the Double Dragon could have more questions answered by Suki and I.

    "Mùqīn," Chon continued, "why didn't you tell us about your tumor...?"

    It was sad to see my youngest son observe me with such strain in his eyes. "...Because, Chon, it would have only distracted you both. Along with the rest of the world, I needed you and Xen at your bests, rather than trying to come to terms with the fact that you would soon be, orphans."

    Xen and Chon lowered their heads, possibly to hide their dread.

    "Mùqīn, we, understand," Xen said, who moments later stroked at my arm. "The Double Dragon was burdened with one hell of a task. This knowledge would have caused distraction."

    "Mùqīn, never mind the past," Chon added - his optimism shining through his woe. "How are you feeling now? Suki explained that she's been administering Cassius's medicine, so the tumor is stable, right?"

    Suddenly, Suki looked away from him, letting her guard slip.

    Nevertheless, I understood it. I knew that Suki was troubled about my condition, too. Like the rest of them, I knew that she was scared to lose me and become an orphan, all over again.

    Before the tears in my eyes could fall, Sarah and Skye re-entered the fold. And I took the opportunity to reveal my truth. "Sadly, my sons, the tumor is not stable. Furthermore, the majority of the medicine lacing my blood is for, something else... Now listen to me, please. I haven't much time left. Therefore, it is imperative that you allow me to continue." Heeding my request, Xen, Sarah and Chon all nodded through their despair. "Thank you."

    As planned, my next action was to prompt my current protégé... "Suki, would you...?"

    "Yes, yí mā, of course..."

    Via holoscreen interface, she disengaged the Cold Cloud which had retarded me for almost a decade.

    Next, Suki stroked at the remaining trinkets sat in their left and right-sided ports.

    Once she had, they began to glow, emanating more dull orange light. "As alluded to already, I believe that human beings are not alone in this universe. The artefact docked in the central port reinforced my belief, long ago. More importantly, alongside The Drake Equation, it is the basis of 'The Mission'...

    "...Little Girl, come to me," I then beckoned. "I am very thirsty." Skye, our darling 'Siyu', looked hesitant. However, after an acknowledgement from Chon, she moved forwards with the water I had requested.

    Nevertheless, the wary child stopped. And looked back again. This time, it was my daughter-in-law who reassured Skye. "Siyu, it's okay," Sarah told her daughter. "There's nothing to be afraid of. Go on. Go and meet your grandmother. She's waiting."

    Tipping on toes, Skye finally darted over to me. Next, she placed the water pouch by my jawline and followed up by pushing the nozzle toward my lips. Eager to consume the elixir of life, I sucked as hard as I could until it galvanized my senses. Somewhat refreshed, I continued. "Now, Skye, jump up onto the Pod, and sit with me. I have a special hug to give you!"

    "...Okay, zǔ mǔ! And you can call me Siyu - if you would like...?" Hearing the child spout my name in Mandarin was beyond endearing. Chon and Sarah had done well to maintain the old ways and teach the child our true dialect. However, in order to make Skye feel as comfortable as possible, I had added another icebreaker before hugging her and then going into heavier detail again. "Okay, thank you, Siyu! And please, child, there is no need to be so formal. You can call me 'nǎi nai'."

    "Okay, nǎi nai, I will."

    "Good, and now for that special hug!" Leaning in with a decade of pent-up emotion, I cradled Tengfei's biological legacy and smiled until my cheeks had begun to hurt. "Wow, Siyu, that felt amazing! But I must apologize for holding on for so long! I had to hug you for your grandfather as well! Unfortunately, though, I must now finish explaining what today is about. Okay...?"

    Slowly, the girl had nodded, as did everyone else. "...Siyu, what do you think about space?"

    "It's fascinating. And cold!"

    "Okay," I had chuckled. "And, what do you think about, planet Mars?"

    "It's awesome! Thanks to James Raythorpe's discovery, it is definitely a beacon of hope!"

    "Indeed, it is! Indeed, it is," I retorted. "Siyu; tell me then; what do you think about the idea of, 'aliens'...?"

    "...Nǎi nai, I think it is a bit scary. But also, very exciting!" Skye explained. "Seriously, I hope they do exist as I would love to meet one! Plus, I've seen loads of different types in Uncle Mikey's movie collection!"

    "Siyu, that is wonderful," I said with relief. "The reason why I am asking is because there are some things that I would like you to do for me. For our family. In actual fact, things you could do for everyone down on Earth, as well as those aboard Dwarven Earthian Star..."

    "What type of things, nǎi nai?"

    "Well, Siyu, the first thing would be to learn. Learn all you would need in order to travel throughout space! What do you think about that?"

    "I think that sounds amazing!" the child beamed. "But, how long would I have to learn for?"

    "Well, I will not lie to you, Siyu. You would have to learn for many, many years," I explained. "Mechanical engineering, astrobiology, and linguistics would be your main disciplines."

    "Nǎi nai, those things sound really hard. A-And what are they?"

    Naturally, Chon and Sarah's breathing became labored, their exhalations filled with worry.

    "Yes, Siyu, they would be hard. But do not fret," I assured. "Big cousin Suki would be your mentor, and over time, she would explain what they all were. And secondly, you would have to physically train, and every day until you were a fully-grown woman..."

    "...Nǎi nai, why?"

    "Because, Siyu, as well as needing to be very smart; you would need to be very capable; just like an astronaut. Look, let me show you..." As planned, Suki retrieved the two glowing objects from their left and right-sided ports. Next, she placed the smaller piece into the larger one.

    And, as Cassius had designed, they connected, harmoniously.