Xen

Sixty-one miles above sea level now, our seven super ships headed for the Kármán line and the point of Max Q.

    Next, Stephen's official voice boomed throughout the innards of each craft. "Captains," he said privately with the leaders and myself within earshot, "structural reports, please..."

    In response, the pilots relayed the integral status of each titan. But thankfully, damage to the gargantuan hulls was minimal, with collective health sat at ninety-one per cent. Therefore, regarding exterior repairs, there was no immediate need to release crystalline sealant into any of the vessels' exo-casings. With the initial analysis complete, our guide then addressed the masses. "Eligible Patrons, this is Admiral Wu. After experiencing a minor setback...we are on course again. Currently, our fleet is passing through the mesosphere, and to follow, we will be entering the thermosphere and slowing down a little to compensate for the pressure on the hulls. So far, they've held up nicely. To add, as you can see on holoscreen, Earth's atmosphere is losing its blueness and fading to pitch black."

    After spending time drifting through sub-orbit, Stephen continued. "At this time, I would like to ask that you brace yourselves once more. All seven crafts are about to fire secondary engines, and the plutonium ignitions will increase our velocity as we head for the exosphere." The additional thrust caused Stardom to propel with intensity in low orbit.

    Meanwhile, weightlessness began to take hold and moved the odd trinket around the bridge control room I shared with Lee, his army aides, and the VG pilots.

    Some time later, our freighter and the rest of the fleet slowed, prompting Stephen to start again. "Eligible Patrons, we have decreased our collective velocity and are about to begin the next part of our mission. And, for those with port and starboard views, you might be able to glimpse the odd satellite. This is because we have reached geostationary-geosynchronous orbit. Now, this area is home to approximately twenty-nine thousand pieces of technological debris, and in a few moments, the next sequence will be firing the uranium in our vessels' tertiary engines. The ignitions will power the orbital maneuvering systems and allow us to navigate the shrapnel danger field with maximum control.

    "Lastly," our Admiral concluded, "this will take another substantial period of time and a considerable amount of care, so sit tight. The main reason for this will be that all crafts will be extending magnetic limbs, which will collect hazardous debris. Thereafter, the limbs will rotate to the rear of the crafts, demagnetize debris, and then continue through the pass. Once we are clear, we will revert to secondary engines. Then we will advance to our convergence point. Thank you for your undying patience."

    Once the required time had lapsed, the task was complete.

    Following that, my A.I.D.A observed history.

    She did so by accessing the complex satellite aboard the UNity space station - our Admiral's 'baby' - as our fleet propelled onwards for sixteen thousand miles, until amazingly, we had reached the convergence point in the exosphere, our final destination.

    Once the entire fleet was stationary, the army personnel aboard each vessel wasted no time in attending to three main groups of eligibles. They comprized of those who were distressed, those in need of being brought around from Habitat Suit sedation, and those who had not survived our perilous journey...

    Furthermore, what came next would also be perilous, as Captain Mortensen focused on aligning Stardom's magnetic limbs with the colossal latches adorning the exterior of The Wealth Core.

    Interconnection and pressurization was upon us. And the pilots and A.I needed to get it more than right, if our conglomerate was to be forged.

    By no means was the consecutive task a small feat. Naturally so, I looked to distract myself. Having looked about my surroundings and studied my Habitat Suit contemplatively, I settled on using the time to update Samir. After all, informing the UN of our orbital proceedings was the best way of convincing the world that one day, The Solution would be achievable.

    The link connected and he got straight down to business. "So, tell me Xen, how many of your Eligibles did not make it?"

    "Hello, Secretary-General," I said with scorn. "Thank you for congratulating us on getting this far. And to answer your question, the number is, nine. Samir, we have nine confirmed fatalities."

    "You mean, nine confirmed fatalities, and counting..." he mused back with disgust.

    Based on our scheduled sequence of events, Samir was well aware that our army personnel were in the midst of checking the health statuses of eligibles, as well as trying to bring around as many of them as possible who'd been sedated for the exodus. Still, in an effort to remain positive, I cited what I did know. "Secretary-General, with confirmed fatalities aside, I can declare that we have reached our destination, and that it is promising that our pilgrimage will be a success."

    "Xen, not yet," Samir protested. "Not yet. Before you are allowed to claim the overall victory, you will have to orchestrate the creation of your star. Any more deaths will only tarnish your mission and validate Albers, especially if the connection goes wrong. So, good luck, old friend, you really are going to need it."

    Imperial had been the first freighter to latch onto the core. As was planned, primary cryo-water from its tripod reserve tanks was liquefied, then quickly released and used to begin aid.

    Horizon was the second, followed by Solaris, Atomic and Dynasty.

    "That's five down..." Lee said, glancing my way.

    "And one to go..." I mumbled back.

    As Stardom drew closer to The Core, an A.I hazard warning suddenly went off in front of us, illuminating the fixed holoscreens on the backdrop of the bridge console. "CAPTAIN, DANGER AHEAD! DANGER AHEAD!! HALT APPROACH!!!"

    "Computer, report," Mortensen responded as solemnly as he could.

    "CAPTAIN, THERE IS DEBRIS LOCATED IN THE CONNECTION SHAFT. MANUAL EXTRACTION IS REQUIRED TO GUARANTEE 100% CONNECTIVITY WITH THE COLUMN."

    "Computer, understood," Mortensen acknowledged. In the wake of the revelation, the captain conferred with Stephen who was swift to apply his authority as admiral. The result was him ordering the deployment of A.I.S.U's, set to function in mech-mode and spacewalk to the shaft and remove the matter which could cause catastrophe.

    "Computer," Stephen said hours later from The Core, "debris update..."

    "...ADMIRAL, THE A.I.S.U SPACEWALK HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL - SHAFT IS FREE OF DEBRIS - THE APPROACH CAN RECOMMENCE WHEN STARDOM IS READY."

    "Mortensen, you are cleared for the final approach," Wu declared, wasting no time.

    "Aye, Admiral," Mortensen confirmed.

    Subsequently, our captain applied thrust and progressed Stardom's proximity until we could no longer make out any cladded definitions of O-Kenai's refuge. Once our freighter was in place, her magnetic limbs and platforms extended.

    "Steady, steady..." Lee winced.

    "Almost there..." I breathed.

    Then following an almighty and cosmic clunk, streamlined tears shot down my face and were lost to the confined innards of my Habitat Suit.

    I knew in my being that we had done it.

    Our small star had been born.