2: Hope for Humanity

The sky was a beautiful shade of blue with a few clouds dotting here and there, drifting lazily in the occasional wind that blew by. The sun was beating warmly against your back, but not in an unpleasant way.

Nature was alive with all kinds of sounds – the rustling of leaves whenever a breeze passed by, the trampling of deer's hooves as they munched on grasses, birds singing about their days – all these acting as background music.

It was a perfect day to restock on food supplies.

You were currently picking herbs, humming a merry tune to yourself as your head nodded along to the beats. Meanwhile, further up north from where you were located, Senku was gathering more woods to stock up as well.

The day was going smoothly and you got to admit, living in this stone world wasn't as bad as you thought it was going to be. It was just you and Senku, a simple boy and girl just doing their best to rebuild human civilisation.

'It feels like we're a pair of husband and wife leading a simple and domestic lifestyle where our only worries are ensuring we have enough food and water.' You blushed slightly at the thought of it.

Although, that quickly gave way to mortification the moment you realized how inappropriate it was to think such things about your green-haired friend when both of you were simply just friends, nothing more even though you wished it was the case.

"Stop it, (Name)! I know Senku isn't here right now, but that doesn't still entitle you to have such thoughts about him!" You frowned in disapproval as you slapped your cheeks to get a grip on reality.

After you had calm down, you let out a defeated sigh and resumed what you were doing earlier when suddenly the peaceful atmosphere was shattered by a loud shout coming from where Senku was located at the moment.

Your head immediately jerked up, (e/c) orbs widened in alarm as you glanced in that direction. Unease gripped tightly at your heart and the thought of your friend being in danger began to form in your mind.

You were ready to drop everything and ran to his rescue, fearing the worst. However, you managed to hold yourself back at the last moment.

'I shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusion. Maybe Senku was startled by a deer that came out of nowhere.' You bit your lips, trying to reassure yourself. 'I'll wait for a bit and observe before going over to make sure nothing bad has happened.'

Despite that, you still couldn't help the worry clouding your mind. Yet, you did wait for a few more seconds to pass and when you didn't hear anything else, you came to the conclusion maybe it wasn't anything to worry about.

Nonetheless, you decided to call it a day for now. Besides, there was no harm in checking with your own two eyes that nothing had happened to Senku. With their resolution in mind, you threw the last few pieces of herbs into the basket and slung it over your shoulder before making your way towards where you heard the commotion – quickening your pace as fast as you could without tripping on anything.

"Senku!" You yelled as you burst through the green foliage, (e/c) eyes wide with barely concealed panic and glanced around the surroundings for any signs of danger. "What happened?! Are you okay?! I heard a loud shout and rushed over as fast as I could! You're not hurt right?!"

"I'm fine, you idiot and it wasn't me." Senku rolled his eyes at your overdramatic reaction before pointing a thumb over his shoulder to show who was the one responsible for the loud noise. "It's none other than the big oaf there who was being loud and attracting any possible predator within the vicinity."

"Oh, thank goodness!" You breathed out a sigh of relief and your shoulders relaxing as the tension leave your body, only to perk back up once more when you finally registered the person standing behind the scientist.