Chapter I

It was dark as the warm, humid air swirled around the palace. A figure ran on the roof under the cover of night. The cloaked individual snuck into the palace and ran to find the throne room.

A guard caught sight of the figure and gasped before shouting, "Stop! Intruder!"

King Frederic shot straight up in bed, Queen Arianna waking from her husband's sudden movement.

"Stay here," Frederic said to Arianna as he quickly ran out of the room, but she followed him anyways.

Soon the figure was cornered in the throne room and the king walked forward, sword at the ready.

"Reveal yourself! I order you, take off your hood!" Frederic demanded, but the figured merely set down a ball of cloth and then the cloak fell to the ground in a puddle of water.

Frederic was stunned, approaching the ball with caution.

"Sire, no! It could be dang-"

Frederic opened the ball of cloth and a baby girl looked up at him. She looked at him with wonder before she started to giggle.

"It's a baby..." Arianna went to his side and he looked at her.

"Arianna, I told you to-"

"Not now, darling," she brushed him off and picked up the infant.

"We shall take it to the orphanage in the morning," Frederic said and Arianna frowned.

"Why can we not take her in?" She asked her husband as she cradled the baby girl.

"We cannot replace Rapunzel," Frederic said as his heart ached at the mere thought of forgetting about their stolen daughter and replacing her.

"We will never replace Rapunzel, dear. However, I am sure when Rapunzel returns she'd love a sister," Arianna said, feeling that they were meant to keep the child. "Clearly whatever brought her here was enchanted. Maybe she's meant to be with us."

Frederic looked at the tiny girl and sighed softly, giving in. "Alright... we can take her in," he said and Arianna smiled brightly.

She pulled back the cloth a little more and saw a note.

'Dear who was chosen,
I am afraid we are stuck. The spirits have locked the enchanted forest and I'm not even sure the Nokk will save her. I wish for my daughter to be free. Her name is Aquaria. Her birthday is on the twelfth day of August. I have let the Nokk take her through the dark sea so she may not have to suffer the isolation we do. I do not know who you are, but the water spirit has chosen you. Never let her think she was abandoned. I love my daughter more than life and that is why I listened to the Nokk to set her free from the forest. Love her, care for her, and please keep her safe. If she has trouble sleeping, play the music box and sing her the lyrics. Thank you so much.
~Livli

"Aquaria," Arianna murmured and saw a familiar scarf and a music box with lyrics inside. "This is just like Iduna's scarf."

Frederic hummed and the little girl reached at him, giggling in delight.

"Well then, let's get her settled in and we can figure all of this out in the morning," he said as he carefully took the infant.

Arianna nodded with a smile before she walked with her husband and the child back to their room.

💧

Almost a year later, August twelfth, Aquaria was a year old. A festival was held and Arianna was out with the birthday girl when she ran into a familiar face.