Chapter XXV

Aquaria went to give Rapunzel breakfast in bed for her birthday when she saw Rapunzel on her window seat.

"Morning, sis. I made you birthday breakfast," Aqua said softly with a smile before frowning when she saw Rapunzel's expression. "Rapunzel? What's wrong?"

"Oh, uh... well..." Rapunzel sighed and turned to her little sister. "Last night I helped Varian steal the sundrop flower..."

Aquaria's eyes widened and she nearly dropped the tray of food. "Y-you what?"

"H-he said he only needed one petal, but he took the whole flower and he used some mixture derived from Xavier's mood elixir. He said that it was the key to saving Corona and-"

"Getting his father out of the amber... he asked me to help him and I told him no..." Aquaria set the tray down on Rapunzel's window seat before hugging herself.

"Aquaria... I... just wanted to help Corona..."

"And what's gonna happen when father finds out? You could get in trouble and Varian... h-he could be punished and I can't let that happen..." Aquaria felt tears prick her eyes.

"Dad knows... he's angry, but Aqua, Varian isn't safe to be around! I mean, he lied, tricked me, tried to get you to steal the most powerful object in the seven kingdoms, and now he has that object! Who knows what he could do now!"

"I-I... I'm sorry..." Aquaria started to cry as she dashed out of Rapunzel's room, not seeing Eugene about to enter as she left.

She ran to find her mother, her heart being ripped apart.

Arianna frowned when she saw her daughter crying.

"Aquaria? What's wrong, sweetheart?" She immediately took Aqua into her arms.

"Varian... h-he... I... I just don't know what to do..."

Aqua was terrified about what was happening. She couldn't stop thinking about what Varian had said.

'I can't believe that I actually liked you!'

She sobbed herself to sleep in her mother's arms, wishing that she had said yes and just helped Varian steal the flower.

💧

"I'm awake!"

Aquaria shot straight up when she heard a door open.

Arianna walked in with some tea for Aqua. "It's about time you woke up."

"What's wrong? Did something happen?" Aquaria asked immediately when she saw that her mother looked distressed.

"Aqua... Varian, well... he attacked your sister, Eugene, and Cassandra... Rapunzel is under strict surveillance and your father has requested that you are not to leave your room either... not until Varian is stopped..."

Aqua choked out a soft sob and stared at the wall.

"This is all my fault..."

"No, sweetie. It's not your fault," Arianna said quickly as she sat beside Aqua.

"How is it not my fault? He needed help and I couldn't go with him! Then he asked for me to help him steal the one thing that could save his father and I told him no! I'm supposed to have his back and help him with everything, but I let him down! I'm his girlfriend... or at least I was... I don't even know if he wants me anymore, but it was my job to support him and be there... but I wasn't there..."