Chapter XXIII

Aquaria was worried sick about her parents. She sat on her balcony, using her powers to melt the snow in the area around her. She was freezing, but she didn't care. She was watching for her parents.

As she watched, a beautiful light glimmered slightly through the storm. She could see it moving closer to the palace quickly.

She saw it disappear into the palace and she hummed.

"Princess Rapunzel!"

She heard Varian's voice echo through the palace and she gasped.

She jumped up and ran to meet up with him.

She tried to find where his voice had come from before going to check the family room where everyone had gathered.

As she ran in, she could see the guards at the other entrance to the room with Varian, Rapunzel, and Nigel.

The guards grabbed Varian were dragging him off as Aqua darted to him.

"Princess! My dad needs help!" Varian cried out.

"No! Don't hurt him!" Rapunzel called to them.

"Rapunzel! You promised! You promised!"

Aquaria ran and caught up with them.

"Stop! Let him go!" She ordered as she stood in front of the guards and Varian.

"Princess, he-"

"Did I stutter? Let him go, now!" Aquaria glared at them and they let Varian go.

He immediately ran to hug Aquaria who hugged him back. He cried into her shoulder and she frowned.

"What happened? Why are you here?" Aquaria asked with worry.

"I-I need Rapunzel's help! Sh-she promised that she'd help me with the rocks a-and now my dad is stuck in this amber-like substance and it's spreading! I- she won't help me! Y-you have to come with me! I-I have to save my dad! Please!"

"Varian, I'm so sorry. I want to come with you, believe me, I do, but I'm not allowed to leave the palace unless we have to flee to the mainland," Aquaria said softly and he let out a sob.

"Why will no one help me?! Y-you all don't care!" Varian pushed her away and ran off as he sobbed.

"Varian! Wait!" She went to run after him but the guards held her back.

"Princess, you can't follow him," Stan said and Pete nodded.

"No! Let me go!" Aqua struggled against him, not wanting Varian to be upset or to go out in the storm alone.

💧

Aquaria didn't listen to anyone as she sat in the corner of the family room, feeling so guilty.

She hated that she was stuck in the palace, especially when Varian needed her. She wanted to help him, but she couldn't leave.

Then her sister gave the order...

"Evacuate the island..." Rapunzel said and Aquaria shot straight up.

"You heard the princess!" Nigel said to the guards and they ran out to start getting everyone off of the island.

"Aquaria! Where are you going?" Rapunzel stopped her sister from running out the door.

"If we're evacuating, then I don't have to stay in the palace. I need to make sure Varian is okay. You have to help the kingdom, but right now Varian needs me," Aquaria said as she pulled her arm away.