Chapter III

Weeks passed and Aquaria had been sneaking out more frequently. She was helping Varian with a few of his projects and she was happier than ever.

One night, Aqua stayed out a bit longer than she should've and she ended up falling asleep at Varian's house.

Varian figured he could wake her up before sunrise, not wanting to wake her from her peaceful state.

He moved her into his bed and tucked her in before going back to work on a project, losing track of time. When he decided to take a break, he realized that the sun was rising and he gasped.

"Aqua!" He said to himself before darting upstairs.

He quickly shook her awake and she yawned. "What? Wait, why am I here still? You let me sleep here?!" She dashed out of his bed in a panic.

"I was gonna wake you up sooner, but I wasn't paying attention! Go! You'll get caught if you stay here any longer!" Varian pushed her towards the window and she nodded.

"Bye, Var!" She waved before leaving quickly.

She rode the Nokk back to Corona and was sneaking in when she heard a voice.

"Princess?"

Aqua looked over and panicked. "Pete! Hi!"

"What are you doing? Are you sneaking back into the castle?" He asked in shock.

"Don't tell my dad! Please, Pete! My mom knows but my dad can't find out!" She said quickly, praying that the guard wouldn't rat her out.

"Alright, but only because the Queen knows," Pete gave in. He couldn't break her little heart. She was just too cute and he didn't want to make the princess cry.

"Thank you, Pete! You're the best!" She hugged him before he left. She sighed and let the water come to her, lifting her to her balcony.

She quickly changed into a new dress and walked out of her room with a smile.

💧

A few days passed and Aquaria was planning on going to see Varian again that night.

She sat at the dinner table, waiting for her mother and father to join her.

Meanwhile, King Frederic was in the throne room, pacing back and forth in front of the thrones.

Pete had accidentally let it slip to the captain about Aquaria sneaking out of the palace and Frederic was so worried.

"I can't lose her too, Arianna. What if she never came back?! What if she was taken like Rapunzel?!" Frederic panicked and Arianna stood, hugging him gently.

"I know, darling. Talk to her about it at dinner. Maybe she had a reason for sneaking out," Arianna suggested, knowing exactly what the reason was.

He was so worried that Aquaria could have been kidnapped just like Rapunzel and he didn't know what he was gonna do if he lost his second daughter.

"Alright. Let's go," he sighed before walking to the dining hall with her.

He opened the door and saw Aqua waiting for them at the table.

"Aquaria," he said sternly as he walked over to her.

"Yes, father?"

"It has come to your mother and I's attention that you have been sneaking out of the palace at night," he started and Aqua froze. "Is this true?"

"I-I... y-yes..."

"Where were you?!"

Aquaria looked down and was about to lie but she couldn't. She could hide things, but she couldn't lie to her father.

"I-I was in Old Corona..." She admitted and his eyes widened.

"Why were you in Old Corona?" Frederic asked, his fear and worry making him seem angry. "You know what, it doesn't even matter! You shouldn't have snuck out no matter what!"

Arianna stood at Frederic's side, looking at her daughter with sorrow.

Aquaria was so scared that her father would forbid her from seeing Varian ever again and tears pricked her eyes.

"Never, ever, sneak out of the palace again, young lady. Do I make myself clear?" He had a stern tone that was laced with worry. "You could've been taken or-or killed or... I don't even want to think about all the things that could've happened!"

"Fred-" Arianna started, wanting to calm him down.

"No! She needs to know that her sneaking out could've cost her life! We may have locked up all the criminals we know of in Corona, but there could still be some that we might not know about! She's eight years old! I could understand if she was a teenager sneaking out to be with a boyfriend she doesn't want us knowing about, but she's eight! I just- I-"

"I'm sorry..." Aquaria whimpered and Arianna gently took the scared girl into her arms.

"You are forbidden to leave the palace, Aquaria," Frederic said which made Aquaria let out a tiny sob.

"B-but I-"

"No buts, missy. That is your punishment. And your birthday will be just castle members and nobles only, no one else." Frederic wanted to keep her protected and safe in the castle walls.

Aquaria's eyes widened. Her birthday was the only day she got to see Varian except for when she snuck out. She would never see her friend again.

"Frederic, that's a bit extreme. She has been fine and nothing has happened to her when she has snuck out before," Arianna said and Frederic frowned.

"Before? You knew about this and kept it from me?" He was shocked that both his daughter and his wife had been keeping this from him.

"You know what, we will talk about this in the morning. Go to bed. I will make sure your balcony and door are guarded," Frederic said sternly, trying to control his anger that had arisen. He walked over to the table and sat down.

Arianna took Aqua out of the dining hall and to her room.

"He's just worried, darling. He doesn't want to lose you like we lost Rapunzel," Arianna said softly as Aquaria cried.

"But I'll never see Varian again... h-he's my only friend..."

"I will talk to your father. Get some sleep, darling. We love you," she said as they entered Aquaria's room. She tucked Aqua into bed, kissing her forehead gently.

"I love you too, mom," she said and watched her mother leave the room. "I'm gonna miss you..."